Cana is a consumer electronics company based in the SF Bay Area. We are a team of scientists, engineers, product managers and designers building products that redefine the future of food and beverage. Our first product will greatly reduce the environmental impact of beverages by changing how the world's most popular drinks are created, distributed and consumed. We are not building an incremental improvement over existing products, but rather completely reimagining how food is made to bring forward a better and more sustainable future.
If you are excited by the idea of working with a passionate team solving big challenges by bringing together the best of hardware, software and chemistry innovation, we want to hear from you!
Cana is committed to creating a workplace where you feel valued and can do your best work. We welcome candidates with backgrounds that are traditionally underrepresented in tech and hope you apply, even if the role below does not exactly describe you.
About the Role:
As a Senior Mechanical Engineer, you will work with a small and focused cross-functional team, as the owner of all aspects of hardware development across the lifetime of a Cana product. You will drive mechanical design, prototyping, manufacturing, scaling, quality control and vendor management. You’re a self-starter who loves to own things end-to-end, and you don’t ask for permission - you’re too busy making things happen. We are building a category defining experience and looking for mission driven engineers with a solid track record for solving complex problems from first principles
- Provide key input on prototype designs, sensor selection, architectural decisions, vendor identification, test plans, fabrication, safety requirements and material choices
- Collaborate with the team to deliver functional and reliable hardware solutions
- Manage functional and systems-level testing
- Design subsystem tests for functionality and reliability
- Collaborate with Product teams and Technicians
- Communicate with vendors and factories
- Strong understanding and proficiency with CAD software, preferably Solidworks
- Understanding of Drafting and GD&T
- Experience with a breadth of manufacturing methodologies (machining, molding, forming, etc.)
- Familiarity with rapid prototyping and trade-offs of time vs cost vs accuracy
- Experience working with machine shops and fabrication houses
- Experienced with integrating electro-mechanical assemblies within a cross functional team
- Mission Driven and eager to have a large impact on a small team
- Technical Chops: seeking generalists with a depth and breadth of expertise in many facets of hardware engineering.
- Track record of delivering quality hardware solutions in high-ambiguity environments.
- Team player - You know how to make those around you better and feed off their energy. You take care of your teammates.
- BS or MS in mechanical engineering or a related field.
Diversity at Cana:
- Cana is committed to building an inclusive workplace and diverse teams. We welcome interest from individuals of all backgrounds and levels of experience who share our mission.
This position will be located in Redwood City, with some days onsite in our Emeryville office as needed
The pay range for this full-time position that we reasonably expect to pay is $150,000 - $180,000. Individual compensation and level is based on various factors including, experience, education, skill set, and geographic location. This range is for our Bay Area, California location and may be adjusted to the labor market in other geographic areas. We offer equity in the company, a robust benefit package, and the opportunity to be part of ground breaking product development.
Cana offers highly competitive salaries and benefits, including medical and dental insurance, paid time off, and 401(k)
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We are not able to sponsor individuals for employment visas for this job. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. This position is based in our Emeryville, CA location - there is no relocation assistance offered at this time.