With sustainability at its heart, Cana is reimagining how people produce and consume essential products. We believe we can reduce our impact on the environment, and at the same time offer more choice and better products to consumers. We’re starting with beverages! Cana is developing the world’s first molecular beverage printer to bring the beverage aisle to your countertop, while dramatically reducing the environmental impact of the $2T global beverage industry.
Diversity at Cana:
Cana is committed to building an inclusive workplace and diverse teams. We welcome interest from individuals of all backgrounds and levels of experience who share our mission.
About the Role:
This role reports to the Head of Data Science. As an Optimization Engineer, you will play a key role in the development, maintenance, and expansion of the Data Science ecosystem at Cana. You will be working with chemists, engineers, and data scientists to design key components of our molecular beverage printer. Specifically, you will build and deploy models, algorithms, and simulations that take into account hardware, chemistry, and customer preference constraints to optimize our molecular beverage printer design. Additionally, you will support other Data Science initiatives, including in developing Machine Learning models to learn consumer preferences, recommend beverages, and guide beverage designs, all while building the appropriate Data Science ETLs using SQL and Python.
Qualifications and Experience:
- PhD (or MS with 2+ years industry experience) in computer science, electrical engineering, operations research, industrial engineering, or related fields
- Demonstrated experience in solving non-trivial optimization problems using linear /non-linear/integer/dynamic/stochastic programming, as well as heuristic approaches.
- Experience using Python-based open-source optimization packages such as Google OR-tools; we want you to write and test optimization code in Python that generates new IP for Cana
- Experience with commercial grade optimization solvers (e.g. Gurobi, CPLEX, Mosel, GAMS, etc)
- Experience with Python and its wider ecosystem for data analysis and visualizations (e.g., Pandas, Numpy, SciKit-learn, Matplotlib, Seaborn)
- Experience and solid understanding of Machine Learning fundamentals in supervised/unsupervised learning
- Experience in writing SQL queries
- Strong communication skills and the ability to synthesize actionable insights for cross-functional stakeholders and non-technical audiences.
- Familiarity with standard software development practices (e.g., version control/git, unit testing, etc.) is a plus
If you are excited by the idea of working with a small and passionate team solving big challenges by bringing together the best of hardware, software and chemistry innovation, we want to hear from you!
Cana offers highly competitive salaries and benefits, including medical and dental insurance, paid time off, and 401(k)
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We are not able to sponsor individuals for employment visas for this job. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. This position is based in our Emeryville, CA location - there is no relocation assistance offered at this time.