Cana is a consumer electronics company based in the SF Bay Area. We are a team of scientists, engineers, product managers and designers building products that redefine the future of food and beverage. Our first product will greatly reduce the environmental impact of beverages by changing how the world's most popular drinks are created, distributed and consumed. We are not building an incremental improvement over existing products, but rather completely reimagining how food is made to bring forward a better and more sustainable future.
If you are excited by the idea of working with a passionate team solving big challenges by bringing together the best of hardware, software and chemistry innovation, we want to hear from you!
Cana is committed to creating a workplace where you feel valued and can do your best work. We welcome candidates with backgrounds that are traditionally underrepresented in tech and hope you apply, even if the role below does not exactly describe you.
About the Role:
Cana is looking for an Associate Scientist to support our Analytical Chemistry platform. You should be able to maintain and operate Cana’s analytical instrumentation, sample library and processing pipelines, producing and interpreting high quality- actionable data. As a member of the Analytical Chemistry team you will be working both within the Cana Chemistry team and cross-functionally across the organization. A strong attention to detail, the ability to solve problems of high complexity, as well as excellent organizational and communication skills are key to success in this role.
- Maintain, troubleshoot, and carry out operational data acquisition using mass spectrometric (GC-MS, LC-MS), and other chemical measurement platforms.
- Development, optimization, and qualification of analytical methods.
- Implement and use data to identify trends for root cause analysis. Designing investigations into quality specifications based on assay data and organization needs and implementing resulting system control processes.
- Design and perform experiments of high complexity involving the extraction and preparation of samples for quantitative analysis.
- Maintain operational processes for sample QC and testing.
- Proficient with registry tools for SOP implementation, material tracking and documentation.
- Perform quantitative data analysis using MS software and statistical analysis and interpretation of acquired datasets.
- Prepare SOPs, technical reports, summaries, and presentations.
- Adhering to safety expectations, developing protocols as needed.
- Demonstrate critical thinking, problem solving, and initiative to resolve issues as they arise.
- Exploring new technologies and deploying creative solutions to solve challenging research problems.
- Opportunities for additional training in MS/ analytical chemistry/ beverage/ flavor/sensorial chemistry
- BSc in Analytical Chemistry, Food Science, Chemical Engineering or a related technical field and a minimum of 1 year of experience in an industrial setting.
- Demonstrated experience with analytical research tools (UV/VIS, NIR, LC and/or GC chromatographic separation and MS or MS/MS characterization) and quantitation.
- Proficiency with software tools for data analysis.
- Experience procuring and working with a wide range of chemical materials, accessing chemical databases, interpreting physical property data.
- Demonstrated ability to think critically and to maintain a firm attention to detail
- Strong focus on safety
Other Desirable Qualifications:
- Prior experience with chemical testing and QC workflows
- Experience with programming and statistical analysis tools (e.g. R, MatLab, Python, Excel, JMP, Tableau)
- Familiarity with automation and/or lab informatics software systems
- Background in flavor, food or beverage chemistry
Diversity at Cana:
- Cana is committed to building an inclusive workplace and diverse teams. We welcome interest from individuals of all backgrounds and levels of experience who share our mission.
Emeryville with the need to be in Redwood City one day per week
Cana offers highly competitive salaries and benefits, including medical and dental insurance, paid time off, and 401(k)
Legal authorization to work in the U.S. is required. We are not able to sponsor individuals for employment visas for this job. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. This position is based in our Emeryville, CA location - there is no relocation assistance offered at this time.