Cana is a consumer electronics company based in the SF Bay Area. We are a team of scientists, engineers, product managers and designers building products that redefine the future of food and beverage. Our first product will greatly reduce the environmental impact of beverages by changing how the world’s most popular drinks are created, distributed and consumed. We are not building an incremental improvement over existing products, but rather completely reimagining how food is made to bring forward a better and more sustainable future.
If you are excited by the idea of working with a passionate team solving big challenges by bringing together the best of hardware, software and chemistry innovation, we want to hear from you!
Cana is committed to creating a workplace where you feel valued and can do your best work. We welcome candidates with backgrounds that are traditionally underrepresented in tech and hope you apply, even if the role below does not exactly describe you.
Head of Data Science:
You have developed a range of skills in multivariate analysis, data science and machine learning and are looking for a challenge you can solve which can improve the world. How about turning your talents towards building a novel food technology that will dramatically reduce the environmental impact of the foods we love and consume everyday?
About the Role:
- Play a key role in championing the development and use of data science tools in flavor chemistry and food design
- Work with chemists and data scientists to implement a rapid design-create-test cycle for complex ingredients guided by machine learning
- Work closely with Cana leadership to develop and execute a long term strategy for automating product formulation, developing and training models that design novel flavor and beverages using chemical and sensorial inputs
- Develop a data science ecosystem for documenting findings, modelling, monitoring performance, versioning, and deployment of tools
- Develop computational/modeling framework for multiple categories of complex beverages that integrates/correlates analytical and sensory data/scores
- Develop algorithms or other approaches to generate experimental designs for formulation that reduce iteration cycles and increase quality scores faster than current methods utilizing lab automation and efficient experimental design
- Lead development of machine learning approaches that learn consumer preferences in flavor/beverages and guide automated formulation designs
- Lead development and implementation of long term data science strategy as company scales its install base
- Familiarity with scientific data (analytical data from mass spectrometers, sensorial, and physical chemistry data)
- Strong communication (soft skill, technical) and cross-functional superpowers, understanding stake-holders; ideal applicants need a track record of of applying MVA (regression models, discriminant analysis), statistics, design of experiment to technical challenges, able to find actionable solutions from data, making decision around data cleaning practices (working with real world, messy data)
- Experience developing tools for others to use, understanding stakeholder needs
- Proven ability working with large datasets from diverse sources
- Adaptable to learning and understanding other systems, new situations, ability to grow and improve existing systems
- Computer science/mathematics/statistics background with coding proficiency in one or more of the following R, Python, MatLab, SQL
- Culture of startup - ability to work in a seed stage environment (self starting, self motivating, mission driven)
- Minimum 5 year experience directly applied to the track record of applying MVA above
- Knowhow with integration to LIMS (metadata, inventory tracking,) could be helpful
Diversity at Cana:
- Cana is committed to building an inclusive workplace and diverse teams. We welcome interest from individuals of all backgrounds and levels of experience who share our mission.