Cana is a team of scientists, engineers, and designers, building products to redefine the future of food. We aim to inspire a more thoughtful approach to everyday consumption by redesigning how the world’s most popular beverages are created and delivered. If you want to join a passionate team, working on challenging but highly-impactful problems for our planet, we would love to hear from you.
Cana aims to create a workplace where you feel valued and can do your best work. We welcome candidates with backgrounds that are traditionally underrepresented in science and technology and hope you will apply.
About the Role:
Cana is looking for an Associate Scientist to support our Analytical Chemistry platform. You should be able to maintain and operate Cana’s analytical instrumentation, sample library and processing pipelines, producing and interpreting high quality- actionable data. As a member of the Analytical Chemistry team you will be working both within the Cana Chemistry team and cross-functionally across the organization. A strong attention to detail, the ability to solve problems of high complexity, as well as excellent organizational and communication skills are key to success in this role.
- Maintain, troubleshoot, and carry out operational data acquisition using mass spectrometric (GC-MS, LC/LC-MS), and other spectrometric platforms.
- Development, optimization, and qualification of analytical methods, ensuring adherence to requisite quality specifications.
- Design and perform experiments of high complexity involving the extraction and preparation of samples for quantitative mass spectrometric (MS) analysis.
- Maintain a complex library of biological samples (wine/beverage) and chemical standards. Proficient with registry tools for tracking all materials used.
- Perform quantitative data analysis using MS software and statistical analysis and interpretation of acquired datasets.
- Prepare standard operating procedures, technical reports, summaries, and presentations.
- Adhering to safety expectations, developing protocols as needed
- Demonstrate critical thinking, problem solving, initiative to resolve issues as they arise.
- Exploring new technologies, sharing out/ developing them with the team.
- Opportunities for additional training in MS/ analytical chemistry/ wine/ flavor chemistry
- BSc or MSc in Analytical Chemistry, Food Science, Chemical Engineering or a related technical field and a minimum of 1 year of experience in an industrial setting.
- Demonstrated experience with LC and/or GC chromatographic separation and MS or MS/MS characterization and quantitation.
- Proficiency with software tools for MS based data analysis.
- Experience procuring and working with a wide range of chemical ingredients, accessing chemical databases, interpreting physical property data
- Demonstrated ability to think critically and to maintain a firm attention to detail
- Strong focus on safety
Other Desirable Qualifications:
- Familiarity or experience with programming and statistical analysis tools (e.g. R, MatLab, Python, Excel, JMP, Tableau)
- Familiarity with automation and/or lab informatics software systems
- Background in flavor or food or beverage chemistry