Entry Level Payroll Auditor
Looking to work at a firm that encourages a work life balance?
Withum is a forward-thinking, technology-driven advisory and accounting firm, helping clients to Be in a Position of StrengthSM in today’s modern business landscape. Withum empowers clients with innovative tools and solutions to address their accounting, tax and overall business management needs. Withum is a place where talent thrives. We recruit only the best and brightest people, with a genuine passion for the business.
Withum’s brand is a reflection of our people, our culture and our strength. Withum has become synonymous with teamwork and client service excellence. The cornerstone of our success can truly be accredited to the dedicated professionals who work here every day, whose mission is to help our clients grow and thrive - to be in a position of strength. But our commitment goes beyond our clients as we continue to live the Withum Way, promoting personal and professional growth for all team members, clients, and surrounding communities.
No CPA or audit experience required. This is a full-time entry level position with a long-term career path. We will provide you with the training necessary for you to be successful.
How You’ll Spend Your Time:
- Audit employer contributions made to trust funds (employee benefit plans) to verify employer compliance with contract requirements.
- Communicate directly with employers to confirm scheduled appointments, coordinate requests for records, and discuss findings.
- Travel to employer locations to conduct audits on site, or remotely, depending on client needs and travel constraints.
- Work independently and under supervision to perform compliance testing, analyze payroll data, and reconcile with trust fund data sets.
- Frequently work with managers and senior staff to resolve audit questions and challenges.
- Prepare payroll audit reports for senior and/or management review.
- Provide management with timely and accurate status reports on current work.
As you progress in this position, you will begin to provide training, coaching and guidance to new auditors and learn valuable leadership skills.
Withum provides an extensive orientation program and training for all new employees to help ensure their long-term success, professional development, and career growth. The training program is several weeks. It is conducted in person when possible and delivered remotely as needed. Our technology-driven approach allows this to be a very much hands-on and collaborative experience.
The Kinds of People We Want to Talk to Reflect Many of the Following:
- Positive Thinker: an organized self-starter with a strong work ethic and eager to learn.
- Effective Communicator: a professional in both written and verbal communication who can distill complex ideas into concise statements.
- Ethically Responsible: ability to demonstrate resilience under pressure and passion to do the right thing placing personal and Firm integrity above all else
- Analytical: a resourceful critical thinker who can size up a situation, extract relevant information, and efficiently complete assignments
- Tech Savvy: proficient in MS Excel (logical formulas & pivot tables), Word, and Adobe Acrobat
- Flexible: comfortable traveling to employer locations, or performing audits remotely as needed (or hybrid of both)
Withum requires all Payroll Auditor I team members to have a 4-year college degree. Although auditors typically have a business administration background, many come to us from the social sciences having honed critical thinking and communication skills in these disciplines. Minimum 3.0 GPA.
PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT AT WITHUM
We owe our success to the dedication and expertise of our team members who have helped build our robust payroll compliance program. We continually strive to position new staff for success and identify new leaders to keep pace with our growth. In fact, the majority of payroll audit management started their careers as staff auditors.