Founded in 2012, Camp Phoenix is a three-week residential (overnight) summer camp that serves approximately 80 kids each summer. We are a non-profit program that empowers low-income middle school students to overcome the summer learning gap through an immersive three-week experience. We want every camper who comes to Camp Phoenix to return to school in the fall a more advanced reader and mathematician, more confident in themselves, and more energized to make a positive impact on their community. Additionally, we do year-round, weekend excursion trips to Bay Area nature spaces and science museums.
We partner with Oakland schools, such as: Greenleaf Elementary School and Coliseum College Prep Academy. Additionally, some of our campers come from the National Coalition of 100 Black Women in Silicon Valley. All of our students attend Title 1 Schools in Oakland Unified School District, meaning that over 90% of students at these sites receive free and reduced lunch. Campers pay a nominal fee of $40 to attend Camp Phoenix. In 2015, Camp Phoenix was selected as an Oakland Unified Lead Summer Agency.
Our summer camp is run in San Gregorio, a beautiful haven 10 miles south of Half Moon Bay. Learn more about us on our website or check out our video! http://youtu.be/gTmF3FMctZA!
For the past 5 years:
- 95% of campers have met their individualized math and reading growth goals (as assessed by Pearson's common-core aligned Group Mathematics and Reading Assessment Diagnostic Exam).
- Campers on average grow over 2 months of learning in math and reading (as assessed by Pearson's common-core aligned Group Math and Reading Assessment Diagnostic Exam).
- Over 90% of campers report gaining confidence in themselves and their academics by the end of camp.
- Over 90% of families we serve say that their child tries hard in school and takes more responsibility.
Abby Friedman, Director of Family & College Resource Center at CCPA, says: “Kids came back more confident, more independent, more self-assured. Camp was transformative for parents and kids alike. One mom was hesitant to let her boys go, but she couldn't stop thanking me after they got back. They had matured and grown so much in just three weeks, and she could feel the difference it made."
Who we're looking to hire:
We're hiring for the amazing individuals who will make our summer camp come alive! Our staff will provide discovery based math, science, and reading instruction combined with social-emotional focused and outdoor education activities throughout the day.
All Camp Phoenix Staff Members:
- Believe in the incredible potential of our campers and are committed to our mission of providing all kids the opportunity to have a meaningful and joyful summer.
- Put kids first.
- Know how to take initiative.
- Work hard and enjoy wearing multiple hats, whether it’s getting silly or serious.
- Are eager to learn from one another and from our campers.
- Are empathetic, both towards campers and fellow team members.
- Are excited to be a part of a team.
Additionally, staff members must be available to participate in staff training and the entire duration of camp, which extends the following dates:
- All Staff Training: July 19-22
- Camp in Session: July 23 - August 11
All roles are compensated with a stipend as well as boarding and meals for the duration of camp.
Are you interested in multiple roles at Camp Phoenix? Please apply to only the role that seems like the best fit for you and we would be happy to discuss your interest in other roles during the interview process.