Who We Are:
At Calm, we have a simple, albeit BIG mission: to make the world a happier and healthier place. Through our website, blog, and app—filled with meditations, sleep stories, music, movement, and more—we’re redefining what mental care looks like in 2022 and beyond. With over 100 million users worldwide, 100,000 new users daily, and our growing partnerships with major companies, we’re having a positive effect on more and more people each and every day. And while the heart of Calm is digital, we are growing and expanding offline with a variety of products and services to help deliver on our mission of health and happiness, the world over.
What You’ll Do:
As VP, Financial Planning & Analysis (FP&A) at Calm, you will drive the metrics, processes and forecasting to support our growth and decision making, ultimately impacting the strategic growth of the company and ensuring its financial health. This role will lead the FP&A function. You will be a thought leader and partner with senior management to drive operational efficiencies while scaling the company. You will build and manage a team to execute on the FP&A and business operations required for success. You will be a finance puzzle solver and identify how financial and operating performance can be maximized and foresee how business decisions and customer requests impact the business’ performance.
The short term will be focused on (a) designing and managing the annual financial planning and budgeting processes, (b) setting up the necessary reporting and financial controls, and strategic planning for key financial inflection points; and (c) work with the product and business development teams to design product structures and corresponding international and domestic pricing. The medium term will involve modeling to support future financings as the analytical backbone of our business development team, and provide partnership to each business lead in developing and executing plans to grow revenue and profit in each functional area of the company.
- Lead the full company planning cycle including the long-range planning process, annual operating plan and monthly/quarterly forecasting processes
- Partner closely with key stakeholders to help translate business strategies and objectives into financial outcomes
- Help drive finance discipline, fact-based decision-making, and financial visibility across the company
- Lead the capital planning process to evaluate all investment decisions across the company
- Collaborate with operating teams and provide fact-based recommendations that support financial targets, improve profitability, operational efficiency and effectiveness
- Develop and continuously improve key financial metrics and analysis to support the unique and changing needs of the functions supported
- Prepare monthly and quarterly reporting packages for presentation to executive management and the Board of Directors
- Contribute to the growth and culture of a high-performing team
- Monthly metrics and reporting to broader team to facilitate cross-team communication
- Work with our Director of Finance to further develop and monitor the company’s monthly review process, to ensure completeness, accuracy, and frugality
- Drive the quarterly/annual budgeting and planning process, as well as long-range financial planning
- Guide monthly/quarterly variance analyses and identify areas for improved cost efficiency or areas for increased investment to maximize likelihood of success while weighing the tradeoffs of time and money and driving accountability
- Further develop and deepen quarterly reporting for Board meetings
- Develop long term financial strategies and work with executive team to drive short and long term sustainable growth and accurate forecasting
- Lead the FP&A team to identify and implement processes and systems that support future scaling
- Manage the growth and hiring for the FP&A team
- Cash management and investment policy oversight
- Partner with Strategic Finance to support Investor Relations
Who You Are:
You love working on complex business problems and thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced and feedback-driven environment. You're highly self-motivated, have a stellar work ethic and you're looking for the right company to support your growth.
- 15+ years work experience, including 10+ years in Financial leadership
- Experience managing and building financial teams
- Experience working cross functionally and an ability to communicate complex financial concepts and their subsequent impact and requirements articulately across all functions
- Self starter with a strategic approach who is comfortable implementing and championing process where required
- Comfortable with rolling up your sleeves working on both strategy and subsequent execution
- Strong financial reporting skills, (both at a leadership level and company wide)
- Strong accounting background
- Stakeholder management skills up to executive level
Nice to Haves
- Experience with both a B2B and B2C financial environment
- Experience with ASC606
- Experience raising VC financing
- High EQ and communication skills
We believe that mental health is health, and every person should be considered in the discussion. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Calm is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, both in our hiring practices and in our experiences as a Calm employee. We strive to create a mindful and respectful environment where everyone can bring their authentic self to work, and experience a culture that is free of harassment, racism, and discrimination.
Calm is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. Please inform Calm’s Recruiting team if you need any assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.