Biostatistician at Calm
Who We Are:
At Calm, we have a simple, albeit BIG mission: to make the world a happier and healthier place. Through our website, blog, and app—filled with meditations, sleep stories, music, movement, and more—we’re redefining what mental care looks like in 2021 and beyond. With over 100 million users worldwide, 100,000 new users daily, and our growing partnerships with major companies, we’re having a positive effect on more and more people each and every day. And while the heart of Calm is digital, we are growing and expanding offline with a variety of products and services to help deliver on our mission of health and happiness, the world over.
What We Do:
Calm is an evidence-based leader in the mobile app, health and fitness industry, that leverages science to improve mental fitness and help people live a happier and healthier lifestyle. The purpose of Calm Science is not only to establish the evidence for our product on health outcomes across B2C and B2B but also to inform Calm teams across the company about evidence-based practices that guides product and content development. Calm Science has secured high visibility funding from the National Institutes of Health and our ongoing research continues to reinforce and strengthen the public image of Calm as an innovative and scientifically grounded product that improves a number of mental and physical health outcomes.
As part of this team you will participate in developing research questions, conducting research studies, writing grants and publications, networking and partnering with 3rd parties, educating the company and giving presentations. We are looking with someone who is driven and motivated and very passionate about science. We are also looking for someone that understands the importance of science but also the need to align science and business strategy.
We are looking for a biostatistician/ health data analyst to join Calm’s Science team and contribute to achieving goals in line with Calm’s scientific strategy. The individual hired for this position will be responsible for providing expertise related to study design and analysis to Calm Science. This includes, but is not limited to, developing/writing research designs to be proposed for external funding or carried out intramurally, executing analyses of both internal data and data collected during research studies, developing research questions to be answered with existing data, and contributing to writing manuscripts and grant proposals (study design, analyses, results) based on findings.
Check out our blog at calm.com/science to learn more!
What You’ll Do:
- Work with the Director of Science, Calm’s internal Science team and the Scientific Advisory Board and external collaborators to develop study designs from complex research questions, extract, prepare and analyze data (small and large datasets), perform statistical analysis and report findings (tables, graphs, summaries)
- Write statistical analysis plans, perform sample size estimation, and develop reporting specifications for protocols, study reports, scientific abstracts, peer-reviewed manuscripts, and grant proposals (related to data analysis and statistics)
- Work in collaboration with the data team to communicate between the data and Science team
- Work in collaboration with the B2B team to provide data for marketing and sales initiatives
- Assists in preparation of clinical trial documents, including clinical protocols, statistical analysis plans, etc., as needed.
- Works with Science team and Scientific Advisory Board to handle requests from regulatory agencies, local IRB and ethical committees, and other health authorities
- Ensures timeliness, regularity, and high quality of deliverables.
- Attends regularly scheduled and ad-hoc meetings as requested.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
Who You Are:
- PhD in data analysis, biostatistics or behavioral health economics working in public health, population health, economics, behavior research, and/or digital/mobile health industry or related field
- Preferred experience using Stata, SAS (including macros and SQL) and other statistical software such as R. Familiarity with SPSS data structure is preferred but not required.
- Demonstrated proficiency and a working knowledge of SQL and a fundamental knowledge of database design principles. At least intermediate level SQL and data extraction skills, preferably advanced SQL query skills (window functions and queries optimisation).
- Competent in conducting longitudinal analyses in large samples.
- Proficiency planning, creating, programming and managing complex statistical computer databases such as REDCap/Qualtrics.
- Effective communication with scientific investigators about design, analysis, and results of clinical trials/research studies as well as translation of findings to lay public audiences.
- Experience contributing to clinical trial documents including clinical protocols, investigator brochures, statistical analysis plans, and DSMB reports.
- Experience collaborating with behavioral science teams in successfully obtaining small to large research grant funding from federal sources (e.g., NIH, NSR, AHRQ).
Nice To Haves:
- Co-I on a funded NIH grant where your role was the biostatistics person and you wrote the analysis section and contributed to the design.
- Consistent NIH grant submissions
- Experience working with 3rd parties and running data for them to publish findings and also use for marketing purposes
- A thorough understanding of writing analysis for the lay public and also for science audiences
We believe that mental health is health, and every person should be considered in the discussion. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Calm is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, both in our hiring practices and in our experiences as a Calm employee. We strive to create a mindful and respectful environment where everyone can bring their authentic self to work, and experience a culture that is free of harassment, racism, and discrimination.
Calm is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. Please inform Calm’s Recruiting team if you need any assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.