We have a simple mission at Calm: To make the world a happier and healthier place. The heart of Calm is digital but the brand is expanding offline into a variety of products and services that bring more peace, clarity and perspective into people’s busy lives. Calm is passionate about helping people take care of their minds and we believe that Calm can become one of the most valuable and meaningful brands in the world.
- Improving Concentration and Awareness
- Reducing Anxiety
- Improving Memory and Creativity
- Higher EQ
- Increasing Happiness
- Getting Better Sleep
Calm is the #1 consumer brand for digital health, with over 100 million downloads (100K new per day). We weren named Apple’s App of the Year and the world’s first mental health unicorn. Inc. 5000 cited Calm as the 19th Fastest Growing Private Company in America and we were voted the ‘World’s Happiest App’ by the Center for Humane Technology.
Check out the Calm Careers Page to learn more about the mission, our values, and hear personal stories from our employees.
Calm was co-founded by Alex Tew (Million Dollar Homepage) and Michael Acton Smith (Mind Candy, Moshi Monsters, Firebox).
Calm’s Engineering team contributes directly to the company’s mission to make the world a happier and healthier place. As a Web Engineer at Calm, you will work on some of the most visible surfaces our users see, from initial sign up to renewal and beyond. Our content library, application capabilities, and active user base are rapidly growing, and our team of web engineers enables that growth with their resourcefulness, teamwork, high EQ, collaboration, and focus on results.
About the Role:
We are hiring for two key roles: one building the core frontend of Calm.com, and the other within our B2B group, enabling employers to provide Calm as a mental wellness benefit to their employees.
- Serve as a reliable, go-to resource on the team for web projects, writing maintainable code that can be quickly updated when needed, has a low volume of bugs, and is readable and easily understood by other engineers on the team.
- Be self-directed with an ownership mindset, completing work efficiently with minimal intervention from others on the team. Help uncover scope early in order to establish engineering time estimates that guide prioritization decisions.
- Ensure the most frequently visited parts of our web application are performant and error free.
- Work with mobile and backend engineers to A|B test new features and UX changes, optimizing for the best outcomes for our users and the business
- Implement designs with a high degree of precision and polish
- Deploy code to production, maintain visibility on the status of Pull Requests and client builds as they get deployed, and identify root causes and resolution actions for critical bugs.
- Stay up to date on the latest technologies in web development, incorporating those changes which can accelerate our development speed and improve quality.
- Keep a pulse on user feedback that comes in via customer support, prioritizing bug fixes that have the greatest impact on our members and advocating for application improvements that solve common user pain points.
- Strong proficiency with React including building reusable components and front-end libraries for future use
- Experience working with REST APIs
- Translating designs and wireframes into high quality code
- Solid understanding of responsive web development
- Optimizing components for maximum performance across a vast array of web-capable devices and browsers
- Ability to understand business requirements and translate them into technical requirements
- Growth mindset: receives feedback easily and incorporates it quickly
- Proactive executor: thoughtful in approach and decisive in decisions
- Pragmatic: balance scrappiness and rigor
- Great technical communicator
- Strong attention to detail
- Strong product and architectural instincts
- Enthusiasm and passion for quality
- Takes responsibility for making sure issues are resolved and shipped quickly
- Experience building large scale, multi faceted applications in React
- Experience managing application state with Redux
- Experience with TypeScript
- Solid understanding of writing accessibility-focused front end code
- Familiarity with code versioning tools (e.g. git)
- Familiarity with deployment CI tools (e.g. Jenkins)
- Able to deliver high quality code reviews that reduce defects and support the development of peers
- Competitive salary and equity
- “Take the time you need” approach to time off
- Coverage for medical, dental, & vision insurance plans
- Home office stipend
- Supportive wellbeing benefits including our EAP support, and monthly wellbeing reimbursement
- Commuter benefits
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Remote-first environment that allows you to work flexibly from many locations
- Opportunity to work with a product focused on making the world happier and healthier
Calm is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, both in our hiring practices and in our experiences as a Calm employee. We strive to create a mindful and respectful environment where everyone can bring their authentic self to work, and experience a culture that is free of harassment, racism, and discrimination.
Calm is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Calm is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. Please inform Calm’s Recruiting team if you need any assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.