We have a simple mission at Calm: To make the world a happier and healthier place.
The heart of Calm is digital but the brand is expanding offline into a variety of products and services that bring more peace, clarity and perspective into people’s busy lives. We are building Calm into the Nike of the Mind. We believe Calm can become one of the most valuable and meaningful brands in the world.
Over 100 Million people have downloaded the app and we are growing by 100,000 new downloads a day. The company is profitable and headquartered in San Francisco, CA.
Calm was co-founded by Alex Tew (Million Dollar Homepage) and Michael Acton Smith (Mind Candy, Moshi Monsters, Firebox).
To foster a world-class team who both build Calm’s product today and accelerate the speed that we build Calm’s tomorrow. You’ll be involved in coordinating the team’s sprints and planning. You won’t be the team’s architect — you’ll be working with an amazing team of engineers who are focused on that — but we want you to bring your technical mindset with you, as you support the team’s personal development, guide our architectural evolution, and synchronize our business and technology strategies.
About the Role:
Formed since Nov 2020, the Calm Platform team is a nimble group of senior engineers tackling some of Calm's hardest technical problems. The team's focus has been on reliability, stability, developer velocity and product capabilities.
Your responsibilities include:
- Managing and leading a senior team of engineers (staff & senior) to tackle Calm high impact initiatives.
- Inspiring your team and others with technical vision and help navigate execution on our technical strategies.
- Collaborate with product pods in brainstorming, prioritization, collaboration and rollout of projects.
- Have a pulse on wider engineering team needs, and keep the platform team connected.
- Hands-on contributions when necessary.
- Coaching, mentoring and guiding the platform team as their people manager.
- Maintaining a positive and supportive work culture.
Some example projects :
- Improve local dev environment and unifying configuration management
- Make test run more reliable
- Improving AB testing framework
- Implementing Rollbar and other observability tools
- Service component bootstrap
- Growth mindset: receives feedback easily and incorporates it quickly
- Proactive executor: thoughtful in approach and decisive in decisions
- Pragmatic: balance scrappiness and rigor
- Ability to attract, manage and develop strong engineers
- Organized and great technical communicator.
- Strong product and architectural instincts
- At least 5 years experience in an engineering management role.
- Have experience defining the role and scope of a platform team in a rapidly growing company.
- Ability to influence wider organization on initiatives and collaborate.
- DevOps experience
- Product engineering experience (direct to consumer or B2B)
- Competitive salary and equity
- Unlimited PTO
- We pay your medical, dental, & vision insurance premiums
- Commuter benefits
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Opportunity to work with a product focused on making the world happier and healthier
- And much more!
Calm is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, both in our hiring practices and in our experiences as a Calm employee. We strive to create a mindful and respectful environment where everyone can bring their authentic self to work, and experience a culture that is free of harassment, racism, and discrimination.
Calm is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Calm is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. Please inform Calm’s Recruiting team if you need any assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.