Who We Are:
At Calm, we have a simple, albeit BIG mission: to make the world a happier and healthier place. Through our website, blog, and app—filled with meditations, sleep stories, music, movement, and more—we’re redefining what mental care looks like in 2021 and beyond. With over 100 million users worldwide, 100,000 new users daily, and our growing partnerships with major companies, we’re having a positive effect on more and more people each and every day. And while the heart of Calm is digital, we are growing and expanding offline with a variety of products and services to help deliver on our mission of health and happiness, the world over.
What We Do:
Calm is growing its content library and gaining more exposure every day. Because of this new growth, the number of contracts is climbing, and the nature of our branded relationships is becoming more complex. Copyright, trademark, and rights of publicity are underlying parts of these contracts, as well as relationships that require Calm content to be distributed on other platforms. Experience with these legal issues is crucial for candidates looking to help grow the legal team into the future.
What You’ll Do:
We’re looking for a hard-working, self-starter to serve as Commercial Counsel to help build and scale our growing Legal team. A successful candidate will build and support Calm’s B2B, product and international teams with the drafting and negotiation of commercial deals. This attorney will routinely interact with the senior sales leadership and work cross-functionally both inside and outside the legal department.
- Develop efficient processes and templates to help preserve important rights and protections for the company, such as common data use provisions and reasonable boundaries for liabilities
- Support our templates by excellent fallback provisions and explanations (playbook) that includes a set of talking points to help the sales team explain how the provisions of the agreement interact with the service the customer is purchasing
- Provide direction and guidance to other attorneys and leaders in the organization on the provision of day-to-day commercial legal counseling
- Ensure alignment of legal advice and consistency across all stakeholders
Who You Are:
- An attorney licensed to practice law in California or New York
- Strong and high quality law firm experience with 3+ years of in-house legal experience focused on commercial and partnership deals in a fast-paced environment.
- Track record of team-building and leading deal negotiations with ability to incorporate needs of cross-functional stakeholders into a cohesive strategy for deal structure
- Up-to-date on U.S. and international laws and regulations dealing with privacy, data security, consumer protection and marketing.
- A highly motivated self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced environment and enjoys being part of multiple teams and can be sensitive to multiple priorities
- Excellent organization, communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience in the healthcare sector
We believe that mental health is health, and every person should be considered in the discussion. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Calm is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, both in our hiring practices and in our experiences as a Calm employee. We strive to create a mindful and respectful environment where everyone can bring their authentic self to work, and experience a culture that is free of harassment, racism, and discrimination.
Calm is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. Please inform Calm’s Recruiting team if you need any assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.