Who We Are:
At Calm, we have a simple, albeit BIG mission: to make the world a happier and healthier place. Through our website, blog, and app—filled with meditations, sleep stories, music, movement, and more—we’re redefining what mental care looks like in 2021 and beyond. With over 100 million users worldwide, 100,000 new users daily, and our growing partnerships with major companies, we’re having a positive effect on more and more people each and every day. And while the heart of Calm is digital, we are growing and expanding offline with a variety of products and services to help deliver on our mission of health and happiness, the world over.
What We Do:
Calm is growing its content library and gaining more exposure every day. Because of this new growth, the number of contracts is climbing, and the nature of our branded relationships is becoming more complex. Copyright, trademark, and rights of publicity are underlying parts of these contracts, as well as relationships that require Calm content to be distributed on other platforms. Experience with these legal issues is crucial for candidates looking to help grow the legal team into the future.
What You’ll Do:
We’re looking for a hard-working, self-starter to serve as our second in-house Content Counsel reporting the Head of Content Business & Legal Affairs to help build and scale our growing Legal team. A successful candidate will work with our Content Team (meditation, music, Sleep Stories, among others), Marketing Team and Partnerships Team to structure, negotiate and draft agreements required to develop, produce and distribute our slate of original and licensed audio content, including talent services agreements, talent releases, IP licensing agreements and co-promotional collaboration agreements. This role will advise on issues that impact both the legal and business aspects of production.
You’ll be responsible for maintaining and developing new template agreements to stay current on new licensing models to ensure that the templates, current and future agreements include the ideal provisions to meet the business’ minimum requirements as well as consult with decision-makers to inform their business strategy decisions. You will assist with and advise on deal structures and negotiations.
- Draft, review and negotiate license agreements, MSAs, amendments and statements of work and draft and maintain templates of the same for all new and existing Content sources (narrators, writers/authors, meditation and motivational instructors, artists, musicians and composers) and Marketing and Partnerships brands and companies
- Work with internal teams (Product, Partnerships, Marketing and User Acquisition) to inform future and current legal tactics, template provisions and the legal work queue
- Support Calm’s legal needs generally
Who You Are:
- An attorney licensed to practice law in California or New York
- 5+ years of combined strong and high quality law firm experience and in-house legal experience with deep, working knowledge of entertainment industry legal issues (copyright, trademark, music publishing, publicity rights) and familiarity with software development and app-based and web-based publishing
- Strong experience in production and development of audio or audio-visual content, with background negotiating agreements related to publishing, distribution, production and rights acquisition, as well as talent services
- Track record of leading deal negotiations with ability to incorporate needs of cross-functional stakeholders into a cohesive strategy for deal structure
- Up-to-date, with the support of Calm’s legal subject matter experts, on U.S. and international laws and regulations dealing with privacy, data security, consumer protection and marketing
- A highly motivated self-starter who thrives in a fast-paced environment who enjoys being part of multiple teams and can be sensitive to multiple priorities
- Excellent organization, communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience and familiarity with industry guilds and labor unions, such as SAG/AFTRA
We believe that mental health is health, and every person should be considered in the discussion. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Calm is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, both in our hiring practices and in our experiences as a Calm employee. We strive to create a mindful and respectful environment where everyone can bring their authentic self to work, and experience a culture that is free of harassment, racism, and discrimination.
Calm is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. Please inform Calm’s Recruiting team if you need any assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.