Who We Are:
At Calm, we have a simple, albeit BIG mission: to make the world a happier and healthier place. Through our website, blog, and app—filled with meditations, sleep stories, music, movement, and more—we’re redefining what mental care looks like in 2021 and beyond. With over 100 million users worldwide, 100,000 new users daily, and our growing partnerships with major companies, we’re having a positive effect on more and more people each and every day. And while the heart of Calm is digital, we are growing and expanding offline with a variety of products and services to help deliver on our mission of health and happiness, the world over.
What You'll Do:
We’re searching for a Controller to join our Finance team. The ideal candidate is someone who inspires a high-performing accounting team, but can also embrace ambiguity and loves solving problems.
You will play a critical role in ensuring we continue building a world-class accounting function while partnering across the business to ensure our systems and processes are running smoothly. Our goal is to be scalable as we push towards best-in-class operations.
- Lead, support, and develop the accounting team while driving efficiency & automation to keep up with the demands of Calm’s high-growth business
- Oversee the accounting process for accounts receivable, accounts payable, payroll, inventory, and compliance
- Oversee and own the monthly, quarterly, and year-end close processes including detailed analysis and reconciliation of all general ledger accounts and preparation of financial statements in compliance with U.S. GAAP
- Deliver accurate and timely results reporting to management, shareholders, regulators, and the Board of Directors
- Lead relationships with external auditors, accounting/tax advisors, and internal controls
- Manage technical accounting questions and updates
- Provide support for the annual budgeting and planning process
- Work with FP&A team on monthly forecast against budget including cash flow projections
- Prepare the company for public company accounting and reporting standards (e.g. SEC reporting and SOX compliance)
Who You Are:
- Minimum 10 years of experience with a mix of public accounting and public or private company experience
- CPA and/or equivalent preferred
- Strong ERP systems experience, preferably in NetSuite
- High proficiency in Microsoft Excel and Google Suite
- Strong knowledge of US GAAP, SEC rules and regulations, and reporting requirements
- Excellent communicator, both written and verbal, able to communicate complex concepts and risk factors to stakeholders and influence decision making
- Experienced business partner, skilled in building trust and inspiring others while ramping in a new business and role
- Excellent knowledge in assessing, developing, and implementing internal controls
- Experience with IPO readiness, multi-jurisdictional tax, internal controls, and SOX compliance
- Excitement around navigating a hyper-growth, rapidly changing, and sometimes ambiguous environment
- Proven experience building, developing, mentoring, and inspiring a high performing professional accounting team
- Experience with direct-to-consumer or B2B subscription businesses
- Preferred: Prior experience building and executing a SaaS-based business model and deep understanding of relevant KPIs (e.g. ARR, LTV, CAC, Recurring vs. Non-Recurring revenue, etc.).
We believe that mental health is health, and every person should be considered in the discussion. That’s why we’re proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Calm is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, both in our hiring practices and in our experiences as a Calm employee. We strive to create a mindful and respectful environment where everyone can bring their authentic self to work, and experience a culture that is free of harassment, racism, and discrimination.
Calm is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. Please inform Calm’s Recruiting team if you need any assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.