Who We Are
Our mission is to make the world a happier and healthier place through the superpower of Calm. We are developing a range of digital and physical products that enhance mental fitness and alleviate some of the most important mental health issues of the modern age, (anxiety, depression, insomnia and stress).Over 75 Million people have downloaded the app and we are growing by 100,000 new downloads a day.
Mental Fitness is fast becoming the new Physical Fitness, and we believe a huge global brand will be built in this space. Our vision is to build Calm into one of the most valuable and meaningful brands of the 21st Century - “The Nike of the Mind.”
Calm was co-founded by Alex Tew (Million Dollar Homepage) and Michael Acton Smith (Mind Candy, Moshi Monsters, Firebox).
About the Role
We are looking for an Accountant who has a great understanding of accounting principles, ERP systems and experience with the general ledger functions and the month-end/year-end close cycle. Experience working in both high growth and fast-paced start-ups and public companies will be extremely helpful. A strong work ethic, high professional standards, and the capacity to get things done independently are essential for this role.
- Play an integral part of the accounting close and reporting process, assuring that month-end close tasks and reconciliations are completed on the assigned due dates
- Assist with the preparation of month-end journal entries, reconciliations and supporting schedules (payroll, cash, accruals, pre-paids, fixed assets, allocations)
- Participate in and contribute in the financial audit process including preparation of various audit requests and inquiries
- Contribute to the development of new or current accounting systems, programs and procedures
- Participate in the ongoing development/establishment of Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) documents for accounting policies and regulations
- Assist in the preparation of GAAP financial statements, including document preparation, data analysis, integrity validation and reconciliation processes
- Support the accounts payable process to ensure proper and consistent coding and timely payments for vendors and employee expenses
- Perform annual 1099 filings
- Own management of Inventory Accounting process
- Participate in developing and maintaining Internally Developed Software analysis
- Maintain Cease Use calculations and monthly accounting entries
- Experience with Sales and VAT tax calculations and submissions
- Assist Accounting Manager in general corporate accounting matters and ad hoc projects or requests
You are passionate about accounting operations and thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced and feedback-driven environment. You're highly self-motivated, have a stellar work ethic and you're looking for the right company to support your growth. If this sounds like a good opportunity, we’d love to meet you!
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance
- Minimum 3 years of related progressive work experience that demonstrates knowledge and application of GAAP accounting policies and practices
- Big 4 experience and/or CPA preferred combined with tech startup experience in accounting
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills; high EQ
- Excellent skills in accuracy, organization, and comfortable working in a high-volume/fast-paced environment
- Advanced Microsoft Excel skills (vlookup, pivot tables, match, etc.)
- Meticulous attention to detail and follow-through
- Solid understanding of accounting life-cycle and all that it entails for startups, growing businesses and public companies to succeed
- Experience with NetSuite or large scale ERP is strongly preferred
- Experience with Bill.com a plus
- Experience at a public company a plus
- Competitive salary and equity
- Unlimited PTO
- We pay your medical, dental, & vision insurance premiums
- Commuter benefits
- Life insurance and disability benefits
- Apple or PC equipment
- Opportunity to work with a product-focused on making the world happier and healthier
- And much more...
Calm is deeply committed to diversity, equity and inclusion, both in our hiring practices and in our experiences as a Calm employee. We strive to create a mindful and respectful environment where everyone can bring their authentic self to work, and experience a culture that is free of harassment, racism, and discrimination.
Calm is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, genetic information, political views or activity, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Calm is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans in our job application procedures. Please inform Calm’s Recruiting team if you need any assistance completing any forms or to otherwise participate in the application process.