Caliva is your friendly and trusted cannabis brand. We believe in wellness options that work for your lifestyle; in boosting your spirits and seeking adventure; in motivating the mind, steadying the body and being inspired to create. A true seed to sale company; we cultivate happy plants and happy people and strive to provide California with dependable cannabis options. As one of the largest cannabis companies in the state of California, we pride ourselves in our compliance, professionalism, commitment to quality, and positive atmosphere. We stand by our promise of consistency, transparency, and accessibility as Caliva’s brick and mortar retail footprint continues to expand into new cities and is growing rapidly through our online pickup and delivery service.
Join the Caliva team and become part of something exciting!
The ideal Senior Data Engineer has created an end-to-end data engineering strategy including designing and maintaining data pipelines, and supporting a production grade data warehouse spanning multiple operational / functional departments with hundreds of users. You are a meticulous programmer who prides themselves on clean, efficient, maintainable code and cannot help but share that passion with others on the team. As a technical expert with significant scope and impact, you will work closely with a group of Software Development Engineers, Data Analysts, Business Analysts and Technical Program Management to create the data infrastructure and pipeline to optimize data flow and collection to drive our company’s initiatives for cross-functional teams.
What You’ll Do
- Assist with the implementation of new systems and updates to existing systems from a data integrity and use perspective
- Develop appropriate data schemas and structures for use in downstream models/reports.
- Establish best practices in our data engineering practice and strategy.
- Develop data management and oversight program spanning dozens of source systems across all departments, creating new ETL pipelines and maintenance of existing ones.
- Expand and optimize our data and data pipeline architecture
- Evangelist of programming best practices within the Analytics team and lead by example on topics such as code clarity, judicious use of whitespace, and unit tests.
- Build new ETL pipelines to warehouse new data sources as they are identified and ensure the quality of warehoused data.
- Engineer capacity and performance in addition to providing forecasting and future planning as well as review and consideration of technology trends.
- Recommend and develop changes to source data structures/systems based on observations of data within the context of operational use.
- Assemble large, complex data models to meet the needs of operational and strategic stakeholders.
- Work closely with our in-house analysts to integrate SQL data models to a dependency tree.
- Maintain user permissions for Warehouse data sources and assist in user access training.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned by management.
What You Have
A successful candidate should come from a strong data engineering background, is self-directed and comfortable supporting the data needs of multiple teams, systems and products. You need to have experience with NoSQL and SQL data structures and be able to analyze/transform the data using various tools. Your analytical skills and knowledge of schema metadata will be essential. The right candidate will be excited by the prospect of optimizing our company’s data architecture to support our next generation of products and data initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in an engineering or technical field such as Computer Science, Physics, Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering, Business Administration, or similar or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 4+ Years experience in a data engineering role supporting production systems
- 2+ years experience deploying and managing a production Kafka instance (managed or otherwise)
- 1+ years experience manipulating data using Python (experience with Pandas is a plus)
- 1+ years experience extracting data from REST APIs
- 1+ years experience managing a codebase in GitHub
- Previous experience developing ETL pipelines using technologies such as Airflow (preferable), Luigi, Oozie, Azkaban, ect.
- Experience manipulating and de-normalizing data in JSON format for storage in relational databases
- Experience with Google Cloud Platform or AWS cloud services
- (Preferred) Knowledge and experience with Kubernetes and/or Docker
- (Preferred) Advanced knowledge of SQL and experience working with relational databases. BigQuery experience is an extra plus
- (Preferred) Previous experience developing data models to support a data warehouse
- This job operates in a professional office environment and routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, copiers, filing cabinets and may work in proximity with customers and staff.
- This role will require 50% on-site/ in-office presence
- Work revolves around objectives, projects and priorities, not hours; must be able to work weekends, holidays, and occasional overtime as needed.
- Must be able to stand, walk, lift, sit, and bend for a majority of their work schedule.
- Must be able to travel to other office locations.
- Ability to use computer and calculator for 8 hours or more.
- Must be 21 years of age or older.
- Must comply with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry.
- Selected candidate will be required to complete a post offer, pre-employment background check with the local law enforcement or San Jose Police Department.