Cajal Neuroscience is seeking a research associate motivated by our mission to develop new therapies for patients with neurodegenerative disorders. Our team members thrive on getting things done, eagerly trouble-shooting the variety of tasks that arise in startups, and navigating a dynamic and fast-paced environment. At Cajal, the Technology Development team is responsible for designing and building scalable experimental data generation pipelines to aid in the discovery of novel therapeutics for neurodegeneration.
As a Research Associate at Cajal in the Technology Development group, you will help control, test, and integrate scientific devices into larger systems to automate laboratory tasks.
Due to the nature of this role, on site attendance is generally mandatory.
Minimum Education Requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in a STEM field or equivalent experience
- 2+ years of experience in a biomedical research or clinical laboratory setting
- The ideal candidate will have significant demonstrated experience in scientific hardware implementation including but not limited to:
- Utilizing and writing hardware control software with Python
- Testing and troubleshooting software and hardware systems
- Maintaining and repairing laboratory equipment, including in-house designs
- Developing standard operating procedures for equipment use and other documentation
- Working knowledge of git/GitHub for collaborative software development
- Demonstrated experience with imaging techniques such as fluorescence microscopy
- Demonstrated experience in automating laboratory processes
- Familiarity with image processing and data visualization
- Self-motivator with strong organizational skills and attention to detail
- Ability to document scientific processes/findings and communicate these to other members of the organization
- Knowledge and adherence to safe work practices in a biomedical laboratory environment
- Familiarity with molecular biology techniques such as DNA/RNA sequencing, spatial transcriptomics, and tissue staining (immunohistochemistry, FISH, etc.)
- Experience with CAD for manufacturing
- Familiarity with cloud computing infrastructure and software
- Working knowledge of neuroscience, especially pertaining to neurodegeneration
- Demonstrated experience with hardware development, embedded systems, and/or optics.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to directly address each stated requirement in their cover letter, along with a CV or resume of relevant expertise. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Cajal is a well-funded team of experienced scientists looking to solve one of the most vexing problems in drug discovery: how to model and treat complex diseases of the brain. We are applying high throughput microscopy, functional genetic screening, and multi-omics approaches to identify new drug targets and therapeutics for neurodegenerative diseases.
Medical, dental, & vision coverage with competitive compensation based on experience level. Title commensurate with experience. Cajal Neuroscience is an equal opportunity company. We believe we are a team of people first, and we do our best to make sure all of our team members feel supported and connected at work. Come join us in the beautiful Pacific Northwest.