Cajal is seeking a Controller motivated by Cajal’s mission to develop new medicines for patients with neurodegenerative disorders. Our team members thrive on getting things done, and eagerly navigate the uncertainty of an ever-changing and fast-paced environment in a pre-clinical biotech company.
As a Controller at Cajal, initially reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, you will lead the company’s accounting function and run the day-to-day financial operations. The Controller will be primarily responsible for all aspects of Cajal’s internal controls and financial close process, including general ledger maintenance, journal entries, reconciliations, and financial results analysis and reporting. Additionally, the Controller will be responsible for payroll and will assist with accounts payable (in coordination with our Procurement and Accounts Payable Manager) and financial forecasting. This job will frequently interact with all levels of the organization and be considered one of the main day-to-day contacts for business operations questions related to finances.
- Manage and execute the daily operations of the accounting department and payroll
- Ensure a accurate and timely monthly, quarterly, and year end closes
- Prepare financial statements at period-end, including balance sheet, income statement, statement of cash flows, and customized reports required by external investors
- Partner with R&D teams and our Procurement and Accounts Payable Manager to effectively manage key vendors and accurately calculate material R&D accruals
- Devise and implement improvements to accounting systems, processes, and procedures, including review and reconciliation of corporate credit cards
- Support the Chief Operating Officer with annual budgeting and multiyear forecasting
- Act as primary contact with external auditors, tax preparers, and payroll and benefits provider (TriNet)
- Assist with other ad hoc financial projects and operations as needed
This job might be great for you if you have:
- BA/BS in Accounting or similar
- Strong command of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP); CPA preferred
- 4-8 years of professional experience preferred; ideally within the biopharmaceutical industry and/or at a venture capital-backed company
- High proficiency with Microsoft Excel and familiarity with PowerPoint
- Self-starter with a strong attention to detail, quality of presentation, and data integrity
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to present across all levels of the organization
- Previous exposure to multiple ledgers (A/P, General, Fixed Assets, Payroll, etc...)
- Ability to learn quickly and manage multiple, competing priorities while maintaining a high degree of accuracy
- Experience with enterprise accounting software a plus (QuickBooks, Bill.com)
Cajal is a well-funded team of experienced scientists looking to solve one of the most vexing problems in drug discovery: how to model and treat complex diseases of the brain. We are applying high throughput microscopy, functional genetic screening, and multi-omics approaches to identify new drug targets and therapeutics for neurodegenerative diseases.
Medical, dental, & vision coverage with competitive compensation based on experience level. Cajal Neuroscience is an equal opportunity company. We believe we are a team of people first, and we do our best to make sure all of our team members feel supported and connected at work. Come join us in the beautiful Pacific Northwest.