C4Q Mission and Vision
C4Q is a social enterprise nonprofit that creates pathways out of poverty through technology. We believe that people from every community and background—across ethnicity, gender, and socio-economic background—should have the opportunity to learn to code, gain jobs in tech, and create companies of the future. It is our mission to increase economic opportunity and transform the world’s most diverse community into a leading hub for innovation and entrepreneurship. Our graduates are working at leading companies such as Pinterest, Kickstarter, LinkedIn, Jet, and JPMorgan Chase.
We are supported by the Robin Hood Foundation, Google for Entrepreneurs, Blackstone, Salesforce, Guggenheim Partners, and BlackRock. Our volunteers include leading technologists and experts from companies such as Google, Facebook and LinkedIn. Diversity of experiences, perspectives, skills, and cultures is core to our mission and team.
Creating the Foundations for National Impact
C4Q is a rapidly growing organization that’s scaling to make a national impact. Founded in 2011, we have doubled in budget and staff each year over the past several years. We are currently a team of 25 and anticipate expanding our team to 40 this year. We are creating a non-traditional financing model which leverages social impact/program related investments and earned revenue strategies that align program performance with financial results. We plan to rapidly scale our operations, personnel and funding to create the foundations for national expansion and more broadly serve communities and cities across America.
As C4Q shifts into a social enterprise, we are in an exciting high growth phase and are looking for a dynamic Director of Finance who can lead and build the financial strategy, policies and processes to position us toward financial sustainability as we expand our earned income strategies and evaluate new financing and capital structures. Our organization has doubled in growth over the past year and we expect to double again this coming year. With this growth, we need to build stronger financial systems, compliance and policies. The Director of Finance will be instrumental in leading the development of these processes and will work closely with the senior management team to strengthen C4Q’s financial position and act as a liaison to the Board of Directors’ Finance Committee. This role will continually evaluate best industry practices to develop internal systems and needed resources, keeping in mind future needs and budget realities.
The Director of Finance is a senior level role that is both strategic and operational. This individual will shape C4Q’s financial strategy, evaluate new capital structures, and inform plans for expansion. In addition, they will oversee all financial duties, including leading and managing the financial and accounting operations of the organization to ensure compliance with generally accepted accounting practices (“GAAP”) and other non-profit financial principles, and lead all budgeting, financial forecasting, cash flow and audit activities. The ideal candidate will not only be able to reconcile financial activities but should also be skilled at capturing key data and processes to evaluate and assess C4Q’s goals and resulting fundraising and earned revenue needs.
- Oversee and lead annual budgeting and planning process; administer and review all financial plans and budgets; monitor progress and communicate regularly to senior management team relevant changes in organization’s financial status.
- Manage month-end and year-end close and reporting process – coordinate and lead the annual audit process and liaise with external auditors and the Finance Committee of the Board of Directors
- Manage organizational cash flow and forecasting and work closely with external accounting partners.
- Develop analysis for C4Q’s Job Outcomes Bond and related materials for impact investors
- Work with CEO/COO on developing appropriate strategies and analyses around possible future capital structures to reach goal of financial sustainability
- Support development team’s fundraising efforts with organizational financial reports and tracking of fundraising activity
- Collate financial reporting materials for all donor and government segments, and oversee all financial, project/program and grants accounting and tracking.
- Implement a robust contracts management and financial management / reporting system; ensure that the contract billing and collection schedule is adhered to and that financial data and cash flow are steady and support operational requirements.
- Ensure appropriate compliance and payments for all vendors and Job Outcomes Bond investors
- Investigate new systems for Pay It Forward initiative with Student Success Team
- Update and implement all necessary business policies and accounting practices; maintain C4Q’s financial policy and procedure manual.
- Effectively communicate and present critical financial matters to the Board of Directors.
- 6-8 years of experience with a track record of increasing responsibilities in financial and managerial oversight, ideally within non-profits or similar size organizations that experienced rapid growth (e.g., startups).
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance, MBA / CPA preferred
- Previous experience leading planning efforts, and the ability to translate financial concepts to – and to effectively collaborate with -- programmatic and fundraising colleagues.
- Demonstrated experience in financial management and accounting
- Experience with audit, forecasting, and budget development
- Experience effectively communicating key data, including presentations to senior management, boards or other outside partners/clients
- Knowledge of nonprofit accounting in accordance with US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Government contract management experience a plus
- Experience implementing new financial systems and processes
- Entrepreneurial “mindset” and flexibility a MUST - a leader who is willing to “roll up sleeves” and get the job done during a period of rapid growth
- Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment
- Previous experience managing external accountants or a team of accountants
- Outstanding communications (written and oral) and interpersonal skills
- Strong connection to C4Q’s mission