Lead Engineer – Closure Systems
The Lead Engineer Closure Systems will lead in the architectural establishment of complete closure systems along with the conceptualization of various sub-systems and components within the Body Engineering organization. The person in this role will be key to achieve the Closure department's objective to be a world leader in the execution and manufacture of smart closure systems. The Lead Engineer Closure Systems will report to the Senior Manager for Closures.
- Strategically lead and develop the Closures BOM with focus on excellence, intuitive use and the ability of updating functions for the complete Closures System.
- Command and control the Closures BOM from cradle to grave, creating concepts, criteria, best practices and designs - continuing these through series release and product launch support.
- Work closely with Byton styling studio, cross-functional organizations and suppliers to develop applicable components/sub-systems to meet all weight, cost, durability, and performance targets.
- Effectively collaborate with all stakeholders and the leadership team to meet engineering deliverables within tight time constraints.
- Ensure compliance of the system and component designs with all vehicle/component technical requirements, quality objectives, program milestones, performance, cost, weight & safety.
- Collaborate with manufacturing engineering and suppliers to transition concepts and designs to production.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in Body/Structure related automotive product design and development.
- An in-depth technical expertise with the latest manufacturing technologies and execution feasibility to achieve system requirements and world-class craftsmanship/performance targets.
- Understand fundamental differences in design and engineering of modern lightweight and, high strength sheetmetal technologies, castings and sealing elements, their joining technologies and integration into surrounding body systems
- Proficiency in 3D modeling utilizing 3DX within an automotive product development environment.
- Strong working knowledge of Design for Manufacturing, including familiarity with modern GD&T and dimensional engineering practices.
- Experience with creating technical documentation in at least 2 full life cycle vehicle programs, including DVP&R and DFMEA.
- Utilize DFSS methodologies as appropriate during the design, build and validation of sub-system and components.