- Perform crash /safety CAE simulations to evaluate and enhance full vehicle crashworthiness performance in conjunction with occupant safety.
- Drive the vehicle design with CAE, while balancing all applicable Global Safety Requirements for specific area of responsibility (i.e Frontal impact, Side Impact, Rear impact, PedPro -FMVSS/ECE/EURONCAP/USNCAP/IIHS, etc. )
- Develop and apply advanced safety/crash methodologies and analysis techniques to drive innovation into product development.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Providing CAE support through build of state of art FE models to the finest details.
- Build subsystem / system level CAE models in a modular format with accurate representation statergies to represent the virtual vehicle model to be used for evaluating legal and consumer requirements.
- Develop appropriate highly predictable failure models of materials and Joints to enable good correlations with physical tests.
- Conduct optimization studies by utilizing CAE tools, including DOE/ DFSS techniques on vehicle designs to meet performance requirements with the constraints of mass and cost.
- Performing analyses for feasibility for manufacturing, assembly and service processes
- Providing input in the creation of component specification, component DFMEA, and other technical design documents where analysis plays a pivotal role.
- Produce concise management summaries and report-outs that meet the needs of management system functions.
- Generate all safety targets that will form part of the agreed programme targets, with both internal and external resources.
- Responsible for the development of passive safety systems, BIW, Interiors & Exteriors drawing from a considerable depth of all safety load cases, from both a legislative & consumer test point of view, Including frontal, side, rear, whiplash & pedestrian protection
- Create design guidelines and procedures to avoid known problems, and assist engineering functions to achieve component & vehicle level performance, and meet set overall vehicle targets.
- Perform post-crash test analysis and correlate CAE to test results
- Supporting design progression with multi-disciplinary engineering teams based on your analyses.
Candidate requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering. Master’s and Ph.D. preferred.
- Minimum of three years of demonstrated successful experience on CAE safety ( Structural crash, occupant safety, Pedestrian Protection)
- Strong fundamental knowledge of mechanics, dynamics and numerical methods.
- Strong understanding of the legal and consumer safety requirements for global market and being able to translate the regulatory requirements into the design criteria for structures and restraints specific to frontal and side crash.
- Demonstrated ability to deconstruct complex crash test scenarios with good logic and analytics.
- Excellent applied software experience in ANSA, HYPERWORKS, PRIMER and LS-DYNA, preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver analysis on difficult projects with tight timing constraints.
- Motivator that is organized and a team player that can offer solid solutions to quickly resolve challenging design issues with a creative passion for innovation. Able to communicate efficiently and effectively.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently and with others on problems that are unusual or difficult
- Demonstrated ability in iterative and collaborative automotive engineering environments (at least 1 vehicle program) – success in roles requiring high levels of technical communication and interpretation of analytical results to Design Engineers and Technical Management.