Ensure compliance with United States (and other jurisdictions as needed) Customs laws and regulations. Facilitate and responsible for maintaining daily import/export operations including, auditing, analysis and serving as liaison to the company’s customs brokers as well as maintenance of related policy and procedures. Manage security protocol programs, including ISA, C-TPAT and Canada PIP. Stay abreast on laws, rules and regulations that are impactful to the organization and advise management accordingly.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Collaborate closely with Byton engineering teams to gather technical data for classification of products, software and technology under appropriate EAR ECCNs and Harmonized System codes
- Provide solution to day-to-day transactional issues/questions and complete any other activity required to progress the trade function within Byton
- Respond to all department requests or vendor inquiries regarding classification, duty rates, documentation requirements, or other import/export regulations to ensure timely movement of goods.
- Monitor the Customs broker to ensure timeliness of clearance, timeliness of payment of duties and fees, accuracy of data transmitted, resolution of entry problems, and support of broker supervision
- Support the delivery of daily tasks related to providing import/export guidance with all US and foreign regulations
- Drive understanding of compliance requirements and managing export/import compliance awareness training to ensure compliance with US and applicable global regulations
- Assist in developing and implementing trade compliance audit and training programs
Candidate Requirements and Qualifications:
- Minimum of 6 years of relevant experience in export and import roles
- Advanced knowledge of customs and export classification
- Experience processing export license requests
- Familiarity with customs and export regulations of the United States
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are essential, especially presentation skills.
- Excellent analytical, negotiation, and organizational skills.
- High level of integrity and professionalism, including in dealing with complex and sensitive matters.
- Fluency in English required; other languages a plus
- Customs broker license preferred
- BA degree required; MBA, J.D. or Engineering degree a plus
- Minimum of 6 years of relevant experience in export and Customs/import roles.
- In depth knowledge of, and extensive experience with both customs and export regulations
- Knowledge of, and experience with China trade compliance regimes a plus.
- Experience with technology transfer, deemed export programs.
- ITAR knowledge a plus.
- Willing to take challenges in a startup environment