Lead Engineer – Sealing System
The Lead Engineer, Sealing Systems will lead in the establishment and conceptualization f sealing, applique and molding systems for closures along with the creation of respective criteria and best practices within the Body Engineering organization. The person in this role will be key to achieve the Closure department's objective to be a world leader in the execution and manufacture of smart closure systems. The Lead Engineer Sealing System will report to the Senior Manager for Closures.
- Lead in the technical development of excellent and robust sealing, applique and molding concepts, designs and respective criteria and best practice to guide project teams in their execution.
- Strategically develop the BOM for the respective system in close coordination with the global supply base for the commodity.
- Command and control the BOM from cradle to grave, creating concepts, criteria, best practices and designs - continuing these through series release and product launch support.
- Assist in the integration of sealing systems in the sheet metal and package environment of all closures including A-class styled surfaces.
- Perform technical feasibility checks with respect to material, manufacturing & product design attributes.
- Work closely with Byton styling studio, cross-functional organizations and suppliers to develop applicable component/sub-systems to meet all weight, cost, durability, and performance targets.
- Effectively collaborate with all stakeholders and the leadership team to meet engineering deliverables within tight time constraints.
- Ensure compliance of the system and component designs with all vehicle/component technical requirements, quality objectives, program milestones, performance, cost, weight & safety.
- Collaborate with manufacturing engineering and suppliers to transition concepts and designs to production.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in Body/Structure related automotive product design and development.
- Ability to create from a blank sheet of paper.
- An in-depth technical expertise with the latest manufacturing technologies and execution feasibility to achieve system requirements and world-class craftsmanship/performance targets.
- Strong team player in order to integrate with the global Product Engineering sites
- Strategic understanding of the future trends in sealing, applique and molding developments and the integration into surrounding body systems
- Proficiency in 3D modeling utilizing CATIA V5 within an automotive product development environment.
- Strong working knowledge of Design for Manufacturing, including familiarity with modern GD&T and dimensional engineering practices.
- Experience with creating technical documentation in at least 2 full life cycle vehicle programs, including DVP&R and DFMEA.
- Utilize DFSS methodologies as appropriate during the design, build and validation of sub-system and components.