Lead Engineer – Horizontal Closures
The Lead Engineer, Horizontal Closures will lead in the architectural establishment of horizontal closures along with the conceptualization, design and engineering of opening sub-systems and components within the Body Engineering organization. The person in this role will be key to achieve the Closure department's objective to be a world leader in the execution and manufacture of smart hoods and tailgates & trunklids. The Lead Engineer Horizontal Closures will report to the Senior Manager for Closures.
- Lead in the technical development of Horizontal Closure Panel engineering concepts and designs - continuing these through series release and product launch support.
- Strategically develop the BOM for the respective system in close coordination with inhouse resources and the global supply base for the commodity.
- Command and control the BOM from cradle to grave, creating concepts, criteria, best practices and designs - continuing these through series release and product launch support.
- Assist in engineering stamped metal components, dynamic weatherstripping, mechanisms, glazings and other associated elements including A-class styled surfaces.
- Perform technical feasibility checks with respect to material, manufacturing & product design attributes.
- Work closely with the Byton styling studio, cross-functional organizations, Electrical and Software Engineering and suppliers to develop applicable component/sub-systems to meet all weight, cost, durability, and performance targets.
- Effectively collaborate with all stakeholders and the leadership team to meet engineering deliverables within tight time constraints.
- Ensure compliance of the system and component designs with all vehicle/component technical requirements, quality objectives, program milestones, performance, cost, weight & safety.
- Collaborate with manufacturing engineering and suppliers to transition concepts and designs to production.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in Body/Structure related automotive product design and development.
- Ability to create from a blank sheet of paper and take responsibility from cradle to grave.
- Thorough understanding of Ped-Pro, Swing Studies, Kinematics, package and durability requirements of horizontal closures
- An in-depth technical expertise with the latest manufacturing technologies and execution feasibility to achieve system requirements and world-class craftsmanship/performance targets.
- Strong team player in order to integrate electrical and software departments in the quest to deliver intuitive, new functions for horizontal closures to the benefit of the customer.
- Strategic understanding of the future trends in sheet metal developments and the integration into surrounding body systems
- Proficiency in 3D modeling utilizing CATIA V5 within an automotive product development environment.
- Strong working knowledge of Design for Manufacturing, including familiarity with modern GD&T and dimensional engineering practices.
- Experience with creating technical documentation in at least 2 full life cycle vehicle programs, including DVP&R and DFMEA.
- Utilize DFSS methodologies as appropriate during the design, build and validation of sub-system and components.