The Engineer, Closures Concept Design will lead the data development for concepts to advance the competiveness of Closures in regards to excellence, intuitivity and abilily to update functions with establishment of conceptual and serial CAD designs within the Body Engineering organization. The person in this role will be key to achieve the Closure department's objective to be a world leader in the execution and manufacture of smart, intuitive and learning closures. The Lead Engineer Closures Concept Design will report to the Senior Manager for Closures.
- Lead in the production of data to safeguard and detail the technical development of unique, innovative and advanced Closure engineering concepts and designs
- Strategically develop CAD criteria and detailed best practices for base layout prescriptions for the closures BOM in close coordination with inhouse resources and the global supply base for the commodity.
- Command and control the correct execution in the project CAD from cradle to grave, creating concepts, criteria, best practices and designs - continuing these through series release and product launch support.
- Assist in engineering stamped metal components, dynamic weatherstripping, mechanisms, glazings, and other associated elements including A-class styled surfaces.
- Perform technical feasibility checks with respect to material, manufacturing & product design attributes.
- Work closely with Byton styling studio, cross-functional organizations and suppliers to develop applicable detailed component/sub-system CAD
- Effectively collaborate with all stakeholders to meet engineering deliverables within tight time constraints.
- Ensure compliance of the system and component designs with all vehicle/component technical requirements, quality objectives, program milestones, performance, cost, weight & safety.
- Collaborate with manufacturing engineering and suppliers to transition concepts and designs to production.
- A minimum of 3+ years of experience in Body/Structure related automotive product design and development.
- Ability to create math data from a blank sheet of paper and take responsibility from cradle to grave.
- Thorough knowledge of key set-up criteria for closures including swing studies, kinematic correctness and packaging.
- An in-depth technical expertise with the latest manufacturing technologies and feasibility execution to achieve system requirements and world-class craftsmanship/performance targets.
- Strong team player in order to integrate within the Global closures community.
- Strategic understanding of future developments of CAD tools.
- Proficiency in 3D modeling utilizing CATIA V5 within an automotive product development environment.
- Strong working knowledge of Design for Manufacturing, including familiarity with modern GD&T and dimensional engineering practices.
- Experience with creating technical documentation in at least 2 full life cycle vehicle programs.
- Utilize DFSS methodologies as appropriate during the design, build and validation of sub-system and components.