The Lead Engineer, Closure Systems will lead in the architectural establishment of complete closure systems along with the conceptualization, design and engineering of various sub-systems and components within the Body Engineering organization. The person in this role will be key to achieve the Closure department's objective to be a world leader in the execution and manufacture of smart closure systems. The Lead Engineer Closure Systems will report to the Senior Manager for Closures.
- Lead in the technical development of unique, innovative and advanced Closure Panel engineering concepts and designs - continuing these through series release and product launch support.
- Assist in engineering stamped metal components, dynamic and static weatherstripping, mechanisms, glazings, and other associated elements that can consist of A-class styled surfaces.
- Perform technical feasibility checks with respect to material, manufacturing & product design attributes.
- Work closely with Byton styling studio, cross-functional organizations and suppliers to develop applicable component/sub-systems to meet all weight, cost, durability, and performance targets.
- Effectively collaborate with all stakeholders and the leadership team to meet engineering deliverables within tight time constraints.
- Ensure compliance of the system and component designs with all vehicle/component technical requirements, quality objectives, program milestones, performance, cost, weight & safety.
- Collaborate with manufacturing engineering and suppliers to transition concepts and designs to production.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in Body/Structure related automotive product design and development.
- An in-depth technical expertise with the latest manufacturing technologies and feasibility execution to achieve system requirements and world-class craftsmanship/performance targets.
- Understand fundamental differences in design and engineering of modern lightweight and, high strength sheet metal technologies, castings and sealing elements, their joining technologies and integration into surrounding body systems
- Proficiency in 3D modeling utilizing CATIA V5 within an automotive product development environment.
- Strong working knowledge of Design for Manufacturing, including familiarity with modern GD&T and dimensional engineering practices.
- Experience with creating technical documentation in at least 2 full life cycle vehicle programs, including DVP&R and DFMEA.
- Utilize DFSS methodologies as appropriate during the design, build and validation of sub-system and components.