The Lead Exterior Trim Engineer will lead in the conceptualization, design and engineering of various sub-systems and components within the Body Engineering organization. The person in this role will support the Exteriors department's objective to manage the successful launch of the exterior plastics system from initial concept through tovolume production, ensuring complete customer satisfaction throughout all global markets. The Exterior Trim Lead Engineer will report to the local department Manager.
- Lead in the technical development of unique, innovative and advanced engineering exterior trim concepts and component designs - continuing these through series release and product launch support;
- Assist in engineering mechanical, kinematic and structural components that also consist of A-class surface and sensor/electronics integration;
- Perform technical feasibility checks with respect to material, manufacturing & product design aspects;
- Work hand in hand with Byton design studio, cross-functional organizations and suppliers to develop each applicable component/sub-system to meet all weight, cost, durability, and performance targets;
- Effectively collaborate with all stakeholders and the leadership team to meet engineering deliverables within tight time constraints;
- Ensure compliance of the system and component designs with all vehicle/component technical requirements, quality objectives, program milestones, performance, cost, weight & safety;
- Collaborate with manufacturing engineering and suppliers to transition concepts and designs to production.
- 5 - 10 years of experience in Class A related automotive product design and development;
- An in-depth technical expertise with the latest manufacturing technologies and feasibility execution to achieve system requirements and world-class craftsmanship/performance targets;
- Proficiency in 3D modeling utilizing CATIA V5 within an automotive product development environment;
- Strong working knowledge of Design for Manufacturing, including familiarity with modern GD&T and dimensional engineering practices;
- Experience with technical documentation in at least 2 full life cycle vehicle programs, including DVP&R and DFMEA;
- Utilize DFSS methodologies as appropriate during the design, build and validation of sub-system and components.