Sr./Staff Mechanical Engineer; Electric Driveline, Powertrain.
Byton’s Driveline team is looking for a well-rounded mechanical engineer to support design, development and product manage driveline components within a multi-disciplinary integration and development environment.
Santa Clara, CA, USA
- Develop design specifications, concepts and preliminary component designs and layouts of driveline systems (rotating machinery, housings, mounting, cooling, lubrication, etc)
- Ability to validate ideas through hand calcs, spreadsheets or simple models.
- Detail component design in conjunction with packaging and manufacturing while meeting performance, efficiency, cost and overall project goals.
- Interfacing with other mechanical, thermal and electrical systems.
- Prototyping work and managing vendors for contracted work.
- Liasing with vendors of purchased components, thus tracking project deliverables, documentation, evaluation, supporting integration, manufacturing and quality.
- Product verification and validation (DV/PV), test protocol, test execution and issue resolution.
- Support homologation activities.
- Support engineering meetings with vendors.
- Benchmark competitive vehicles and component, to define functional targets and engineering specifications.
- Provide input in the creation of component specification, component DFMEA, and other technical design documents where analysis plays a central role.
- Degree in Mechanical Engineering from an ABET accredited University.
- 6-10yr design experience in automotive or comparable field.
- Solid engineering basics and problem solving skills.
- Engineering intuition, scrutiny and self-starting.
- Self organizing, solution oriented with efficient communication.
- Ability to define problems, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
- CAD Design expertise. Prefered experience in any of the following: injection molding, castings, gear and high speed shaft design, surfacing and other advanced modeling techniques.
- Experience with large assemblies and PLM.
- Experience conducting FEA stress analysis on component and assemblies with mixed materials.
- Proficient with GD&T, ANSI Y14.5.
- Support creation of component specification, DFMEA, DVP&R and other technical design documents.
- Knowledgeable of manufacturing methods.
- Understanding of rotating machinery (previous ICE engine, transmission, gear, turbine machine design).
- Advanced modeling techniques such as parametric modeling, surfacing, design in context of assemblies.
- Knowledge of automotive industry standards.
- Hands-on prototyping, inspecting, building and testing experience.
- Fabrication experience such manual machining, welding, inspection, CNC, 3D printing.