Byton is seeking a senior staff dimensional control engineer for the Advanced Manufacturing Engineering team. The position will be in the New Product Development (NPD) team in the USA based group. The Staff Dimensional Control Manufacturing Engineer will be responsible for leading and coordinating the development, qualification, launch, and commercialization of Byton vehicle models. This position will work directly with the Design and development engineers in the development of new products. In parallel, the team will coordinate with the China-based manufacturing quality engineering team on developing the commercialization strategy for the product. The commercialization strategy entails the development of a component, assembly tooling, validation, and qualification of the product. These strategies will be developed during the Concept and Feasibility (NPD) stages followed by the execution of the strategies during Development, Qualification, and Launch. The senior staff dimensional control engineer will work under the direction of the Advanced Manufacturing Director in a fast-paced, collaborative environment supportive of program initiatives and compliant with company best practices. In addition, the senior staff engineer will also serve to mentor and guide peers and lower level engineers in US and China to assist with the completion of program-related tasks and deliverables.
This person will have overall responsibility to coordinate the interface between a specific shop and related counterparts from manufacturing in Nanjing, China and our program and vehicle engineering team in Santa Clara as well as our R&D team in China. You will participate in a small team of permanent subject matter experts as well as with the dispatched manufacturing engineering team from China.
As a member of our team, you will help to shape the direction of our products. You must have a genuine passion for engineering products that will fundamentally change the world’s automotive development and must want to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment.
Basically, your role in this is to be the voice of manufacturing in development of new products with a goal of best productivity, quality, cost and safety through design for manufacturing.
In addition to developing manufacturing equipment and processes, advanced manufacturing engineers work with cross-functional teams throughout the entire product lifecycle. You will work closely with Product Design Engineering, Product Development, New Product Introduction team, Process Engineering, Quality Engineering, and Production Operations team to take vehicle and battery design changes and new designs from initial concept through prototype development and into high volume production.
The Advanced Manufacturing position in Product Launch is a “hands-on” role that requires strong attention to detail and exceptional communication skills. This role will be focused on product launches and continuous (process) improvement.
- Individually contribute your expertise to ensure that the product designed by US engineering team is optimized in coordination with the team and facility in Nanjing;
- Provide Systems and Tooling expertise with BIW, Closures, exterior fascia and structures, roof systems, interiors, glass and glazing, powertrain and battery systems, electric drive units, sheet metal to drive corrective actions in parts and assembly tools;
- Working knowledge of Lean Principles and/or 6 Sigma Methodology
- Working knowledge of FMEA, DFA, and DFM principles
- Ability to travel up to 30%, to include international travel.
A Day in the Life
- Work in a team to participate in Design for Assembly (DFA) / Design for Manufacturing (DFM) activities to verify manufacturability of Product Designs.
- Actively participate in PFMEA, DFMEA, Process Mapping, and Critical to Quality (CTQ) reviews assuring specifications are well defined and documented.
- Participate in cross-functional working groups to represent manufacturing with regards to design and program decisions.
- Support design engineers in the creation and coordination of part and assembly GD&T to relay important design features and functions to internal and external suppliers
- Provide input for all assembly tooling required to support new product development activity
- Create, assemble, detail and review tooling and fixturing utilizing software.
- Develop and review defining documents, RFQ packages, interact with suppliers during the quoting process, ensure supplier adherence to tooling specifications, oversee manufacture and qualification of assembly tooling.
- Use surface scans, discrete point data and statistical methods to root cause production issues and track production improvements in in-house and supplier data.
- Develop Protocols and assist to execute Factory Acceptance Testing (FAT) on all purchased tooling, systems, and fixtures.
- Manage and support line validation / qualification activities.
- Travel to supplier sites as required. International travel required.
- Mentor and guide less experienced employees for professional development and advancement.
- Continue to enhance engineering and leadership skills through additional training, development projects, and education.
- Follow established guidelines and management direction with regard to engineering decisions and departmental / company policy.
- BS Mechanical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering Technology OR BS Manufacturing Engineering or Manufacturing Engineering Technology or equivalent experience
- 7 years applicable manufacturing experience
- Experience to review custom tooling, fixtures, gauges, and components
- Experience in related assembly equipment technologies
- Experience with equipment and line process validations
- Familiarity with statistical analysis including capability, process control, DOE’s, control charts, etc.
- Exemplify team-work approach
- Dynamic, positive attitude
- Strong interpersonal, communication, project management, and presentation skills
- Strong design, trouble-shooting, assembly tooling, and manufacturing process skills
- Strong computer skills (Microsoft Office, Project, JIRA, JAMA)
- Ability to mentor and provide guidance to associate team members
- Ability to work with fellow employees and suppliers on an international level.