The Exterior Mechanisms Vehicle Engineer will have ownership to conceptualize, design and engineer various sub-systems and components (such as wipers, sliding roof and charge port) within the Body Engineering organization. The person in this role will support the Exteriors department's objective to manage a successful launch of exterior mechanisms development from concept stage through production to ensure customer satisfaction for the global automotive market.
- Lead the development of unique, innovative and advanced engineering of body exterior mechanisms (wipers, sliding roof and charge port), their component concepts, and assembly designs - continuing these through product release and launch support;
- Design and engineer electromechanical, mechanical, kinematic and structural components along with sheet metal surfacing and electronics integration;
- Perform feasibility checks with respect to material, manufacturing, electrification, control & design aspects;
- Work diligently with suppliers to develop each applicable component/sub-system to meet all weight, cost, durability, and performance targets;
- Effectively collaborate with other engineering groups, suppliers and the leadership team to meet engineering deliverables within rigid time constraints;
- Ensure complete compliance of the system and component designs with all vehicle/component requirements, quality objectives, program milestones, performance, cost, weight & safety;
- Collaborate with manufacturing engineering and suppliers to transition concepts and designs to production.
- Experience in automotive component and subsystem engineering, demonstrating technical aptitude from concept through release and launch for production;
- Must understand the fundamental differences in design and engineering of modern low and high voltage electrical mechanisms and systems, their integration into closure systems, and have examples or a portfolio of relevant completed programs;
- An in-depth technical expertise with the latest manufacturing technologies and feasibility execution to achieve systems requirements and world-class craftsmanship/performance targets;
- Proficiency in 3D modeling utilizing CATIA V5/V6 within an automotive product development environment;
Strong working knowledge of Design for Manufacturing, including familiarity with modern GD&T and dimensional engineering practices;
- Experience with technical documentation in at least 1 full life cycle vehicle programs to include DVP&R and DFMEA;
- Utilize DFSS methodologies as appropriate during the design, validation and launch of the programs;
- Proven ability to manage difficult projects with tight timing constraints and provide examples of such scenarios throughout one’s career;
- Flexibility and adaptability in a fast-paced and dynamic work environment;
- Some travel domestically and/or internationally.
- Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering;
- 8+ years of total work experience, with 2+ years of experience in Exterior Mechanism design and development;
- Understanding of electromechanical design fundamentals; prototype development and testing; systems engineering fundamentals; and system electrification and control logic are needed to be successful in this position;
- Intermediate design, packaging, A-class surface and 3D modeling skills (CATIA V5/6 preferred);
- Experience with DFMEA, DVP&R, BOM management and specifications development;
- Motivator that is organized and a team player that can offer solid solutions to quickly resolve challenging design issues with a creative passion for innovation;
- Multiple in-plant and global launch experience, preferably within and OEM and start -up environment.
- Master of Science degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering;
- Thorough design, packaging, A-class surface and 3D modeling skills in CATIA V5/V6 (6,000+ hours);
- Senior level knowledge of electromechanical design and controls technology, manufacturing, attachment schemes and assembly methodology;
- Strong understanding of new and emerging technologies, products, and development methods to design a world-class consumer experience;
- Experience interpreting FEA and mold flow simulations.