Byteboard has redesigned the ineffective technical interviewing process to be more reflective of what engineers do on-the-job through a project-based approach. We help high-growth companies, like Lyft, Betterment, and Figma, scale their engineering teams through a more effective, efficient, and equitable interview that’s loved by candidates and hiring managers alike.
This opportunity at Byteboard includes an ever-growing market of new customers, a highly enthusiastic customer base, and the chance to help scale Byteboard to become the industry standard for technical interviewing. You’ll be joining a fantastic team at a magical time as we strive to change the industry for the better.
Who We’re Looking For
We are looking for full-stack and front- and back-end engineers to join our software engineering team. Byteboard engineering takes a pragmatic and thoughtful approach to building software - balancing speed and scrappiness against designing systems that last. We are engaged in a variety of projects that span the range between improving the quality of our existing infrastructure and building out new tools, features, and systems.
We are seeking ICs passionate about using technology to make access to the tech industry more equitable and democratic. As an early employee, you will have the opportunity to help our early stage startup thrive through a variety of contributions: building new features and improving experiences for our users, evolving our infrastructure to meet the demands of scale and product complexity, building relationships with and supporting our users, and much more.
What You'll Achieve:
- You'll build new product features from start to finish, working cross-functionally through project conception, research, implementation, release, and maintenance.
- You'll help improve performance and reliability and polish existing features.
- You'll build internal tools to support simplicity and productivity for the whole team.
- You'll participate in planning and roadmapping to help shape the product and vision over the long term.
We would love to hear from any interested candidates who meet the required qualifications below. If you do not meet some or all of the bonus qualifications but see yourself in this role, please reach out anyway! We’d love to hear from you.
- Thoughtful problem-solving: For you, problem-solving starts with a clear and accurate understanding of the context. You can decompose tricky problems and work towards a clean solution, by yourself or with teammates. You're comfortable asking for help when you get stuck.
- Empathetic communication: You communicate nuanced ideas clearly, whether you're explaining technical decisions in writing or brainstorming in real time. In disagreements, you engage to understand other perspectives and empathetically work towards consensus and compromise.
- Pragmatic and business-oriented: You care about the business impact of what you're building, and you prioritize projects accordingly. You're not just going after cool stuff—you understand the balance between craft, speed, and the bottom line.
- Team player: You understand when work is better, together. You enjoy collaborating cross-functionally to accomplish shared goals, and you put conscious effort into ensuring the people around you are successful through teaching, mentorship, and collaboration.
- Put users first: You think critically about the implications of what you're building, and the role our product plays in real people's lives. You understand that reach comes with responsibility for our impact—good and bad.
- Care about craft: Whether it's building a quality user interface or designing the infrastructure that powers it, you want to make pragmatic technical decisions to solve the most important problems well.
- Systems thinking: You work to understand how parts of a system fit together—from the user interface to the data model, and everything in between.
- Available for collaborative work Monday - Friday from 10a-3p PT (regardless of location).
- Are authorized to work in the US or Canada and located in the US or Canada.
- Experience with any or all of the tools and frameworks that Byteboard runs on: Typescript, React, Express, Python 3, and GCP.
- Experience building products and features in the context of a fast-growing startup and small engineering team.
Byteboard’s product philosophy echoes in our interview process. If you interview with Byteboard, you won’t be asked to write code on a whiteboard or solve coding brain teasers. Instead, we’ll dive deep into your past work experiences and have you work through assessments focused on the skills you’ll need to be successful day-to-day as an engineer at Byteboard. And, of course, we’re our own customer; you’ll get firsthand experience with the Byteboard product as you interview with us.
About the Founders
We met at a social enterprise themed Startup Weekend at Google in Dec 2017. A conversation around building more diverse technical workplaces turned into an hours-long session about our own experiences in the tech industry. Sargun was a Software Engineer on the Google Photos team at the time, and Nikke was a Product Manager on the Google Shopping team.
That one conversation led us to researching and surveying our peers on their experiences with technical interviews which led to the idea of interviews that actually evaluated for on-the-job skills and well, it’s been almost 4 years since. We’ve had exec coaches since the start and continually push each other to be better leaders and peers. We’re product-oriented, quite scrappy when necessary, and sometimes are way too extra when making decks (among other things).
Nikke is originally from San Diego and recently gave up her California lifestyle to move to New York to feed her three obsessions: theatre, salsa dancing, and Levain Oatmeal Raisin cookies. Sargun lives in the Bay Area, where she grew up, but the pandemic has thrown her into a nomadic-life so you might find her in New York, Portland, or Punjab; she is a stress baker, an artist, and in love with her golden retriever August. Nikke and Sargun share a mutual love for fine dining, exceptionally aesthetic AirBnbs, and contemporary romance novels.
We are committed to building an equity-driven workplace with a team that is as intersectional as our users and investors. This means meeting with and hiring candidates who are underrepresented in tech, and we will not fill this position without first meeting with a representative group of candidates.