JOB DESCRIPTION: Lead Designer (Art Director)
Internally, this role is known as Lead Designer
Lead Designers at help lead the design team to bring to life innovative creative that capture audiences’ attention. As a hands-on designer they work within many different formats and social platforms, leveraging the latest tech and media insights. They combine strategic thinking with design, illustration and motion to deliver “thumb-stopping” work. We are looking for strategic thinkers who can help shape creative ideas as well as turn them into realities.
BYTE/DEPT® strives to collaborate across their multiplanidisinary landscape, combining Media, Creative, and Tech. It’s key that on the design team, our ambition is not only to make something beautiful, but to also design something that excites the audience into engagement. The design team welcomes creatives coming from different backgrounds with a variety of passions whether it's art direction, illustration, animation, and/or video editing. Well-rounded work can only be produced by a well rounded, diverse team.
The role requires a designer with a passion for ideas and design. Able to create and art direct projects across a number of channels. A Lead Designer represents the team by being part of client facing teams, building the client/agency relationship and confidently presenting the work. They help more junior team members grow and achieve their goals by staying in touch with their ambitions and providing them with projects that are a healthy challenge. The Lead Designer is a problem solver, looking for ways to work smarter, not harder.
- Provide Art Direction across new brand campaigns and always on client projects
- Provide hands on conceptual, ideation through scamps, storyboard and mock ups
- Ability to provide Art Direction across a range of medium including social media, DOOH, AR, Photography
- Design original pieces and provide art direction for internal and external teams
- Strong aesthetic skills with the ability to combine various colors, fonts and layouts
- Understanding of key trends, campaigns and industry tech tools
- Maintain brand consistency throughout all our marketing projects
- Generate ideas to portray concepts and advertise products/services
- Review junior/mid designers’ work to ensure high quality
- Guide junior/mid designers with priority and time management skills.
- Booking internal check-ins and 1:1s to see projects to the finish line or provide constructive feedback on their performance.
- Provide feedback that is always clear and constructive.
- Ability to meet deadlines and collaborate with a team
- QC of always on work
- Support with resourcing challenges when required
SKILLS AND PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE
- 5+ years’ proven work experience as an Art Director, Graphic Designer or similar
- Experience across a variety of disciplines including Art Direction, Illustration, Motion and Video
- Outstanding portfolio with a focus on social media
- Experience across brand consumer and campaign defining work
- Expert knowledge of Adobe creative suite
- Experience line managing or mentoring team members
- Strong aesthetic skills with graphic design principles knowledge
- Ability to meet deadline and collaborate with a team and external clients
- Attention to visual details
- Ability to remain focused under pressure within a fast-paced environment
- A love for learning new things and exploring new formats
- Strong presentation skills across pitches and ongoing work
- Excellent communication skills
You will become an integral member of our team, and you will be encouraged to follow your passions.
HEALTH, WELLBEING & BENEFITS
As the business has grown, we have and will continue to evolve the benefits that we offer to our people. Here is a snapshot of some of the perks you can expect.
- 25 days holiday plus bank holidays and your birthday off each year
- Company Pension scheme
- Health Cash Plan
- EAP scheme
- Ride to work scheme
- Enhanced family friendly policies
- Flexible working*
- Mental Health First Aiders
- Training & development opportunities
- Events calendar throughout the year promoting health & wellbeing, learning, fun, and good Bytes
- Global Annual Dept Cares Day which cadets can donate their skills to support local charities
- Annual Dept Festival
*The COVID-19 pandemic has seen nearly everybody move to remote working and this is something we’ll continue to do this year. Our approach is reviewed and adapted in line with the changing restrictions. When it’s safe to return to the office our flexible working approach will include a hybrid mode of working incorporating remote and in-office working.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY & INCLUSION
Diversity, Equal Opportunity & Inclusion (DEI) are hugely important to us. Our DEI commitments sit at the core of our business and are part of our culture. We’ve always held the belief that being a progressive and innovative business necessitates a diverse team with an inclusive attitude - one cannot exist without the other.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace that seeks to recruit, develop, nurture and retain the most talented people from a range of diverse backgrounds, skills and perspectives. We encourage all applications irrespective of gender, race, sexual orientation, religion, age, nationality, marital status, and disability.
- No ego
- Extremely motivated
- Adaptable and thrives with variety and change
- Self-starting, reliable and dependable
- Inquisitive mindset
- Honest and trustworthy
- Learns quickly
- Persistent and hard-working
- Open to feedback and ideas
- Clear communicator
- Sense of humour