ByHeart is a fully integrated baby nutrition company dedicated to empowering parents with choice: we want ‘best nutrition for baby’ to be possible for every parent out there.
We build each product from ground up: a team of pediatricians, breastmilk researchers and nutrition experts at the forefront of immune, cognitive, digestive and microbiome health informs our next-to-nature approach; we hand-pick the most wholesome ingredients from partners and farms that we consider family; we take pride in what we put in and in what we keep out of each recipe; we blend in our own facility in Reading, PA with a proprietary small batch process to retain highest ingredient quality.
On track to become only the 4th fully-integrated, FDA-registered baby nutrition company in the US – and the only new brand with owned manufacturing and direct supplier relationships – we just closed our over-subscribed $90M Series B in July 2021, and are about to launch our first infant formula, with a pipeline of mom and baby nutrition products to follow.
The ByHeart team is comprised of world-class doctors, pediatric researchers, seasoned formula experts, dedicated blendmasters, and passionate parents. Above all, we are people who know that innovation isn’t easy, but babies – and their parents – deserve a better feeding future.
Please visit our site to learn more, and see some recent press on ByHeart:
- ByHeart Completes Largest US Clinical Trial for a New Infant Formula Brand in the Last 25 Years Supporting their Innovation in Baby Nutrition
- Fast Company Feature- Can This Startup Engineer A Better Baby Formula
- ByHeart Announces the Launch of Cluster a First-of-Its-Kind Digital Community to Support All Parents’ Feeding Decisions
- Romper Story – 5 Things to Know About Cluster, A New Kind of Online Community for Parents
- ByHeart Secures 90m Series B Financing and Achieves all of its Clinical Trial endpoints
Reports To: CEO, Founder
Location: New York, NY
Start Date: Immediate
The General Counsel will be a dynamic, talented member of the leadership team for ByHeart. He/she will serve as a trusted advisor to the CEO, leadership team and Board of Directors, and play a critical role in the strategic leadership of the company.
The General Counsel will be responsible for all legal and compliance initiatives, including advising on corporate, commercial, R&D and manufacturing operations activities, in addition to litigation, employment matters, patent, trademark and other IP, strategic transactions, regulatory matters and company reporting matters.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Serve as the principal advisor to the company and Board of Directors on all legal, compliance, and governance matters.
- Assess current legal and compliance practices and infrastructure and develop functional plans for managing legal and compliance matters, including activities to be performed in-house or through outside counsel to best manage company’s legal and compliance activities, minimizing risk for the business.
- Draft, review, approve and provide oversight on company agreements, including key agreements related to suppliers and vendors, payers, distributors, clinical trials, employment, consulting, partnerships and financing.
- Develop and manage a comprehensive compliance program with a focus on establishing programs necessary to support commercialization.
- Provide leadership and technical guidance to functional areas necessary for them to develop and maintain effective policies and SOPs.
- Develop processes to prevent and detect violations of laws, company policies, promote ethical practices and ensure the implementation of compliance programs throughout the organization.
- Provide focused legal support for commercial and development products, supporting marketing and innovation teams to ensure compliant strategies, plans, and tactics.
- Ensure compliance with corporate governance requirements and relevant legal and statutory requirements for a private company.
- Serve as Corporate Secretary.
- Monitor external developments in compliance, including laws and regulations, government investigations and industry best practices, and as appropriate, provide compliance education and training to the organization.
- Partner with the Board of Directors serving as a trusted advisor on business development transactions including license agreements and external partnerships, helping to identify and assess legal issues and risks.
- Advise on legal aspects of the company’s financing activities, including assessing and advising on financing efforts of all kinds, including debt transactions and other securities-related transactions.
- Provide counsel and support on all IP-related matters.
- Manage budget for the Legal department. Provide oversight, leadership and development for the legal and compliance team.
Skills And Experience
Broad legal experience:
- A minimum 10+ years of broad-based legal experience covering multiple aspects of corporate law including business development, corporate contracting, intellectual property, employment and other areas relevant to the life sciences industry.
- Experience in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology or other FDA regulated industry, including experience spanning research, development, approval, launch and commercialization, a significant plus.
- Experience with strategic transactions, SEC and public company reporting and equity/debt financing matters a plus.
- Commercial experience: Experience with commercialization of products as well as licensing, partnerships and related considerations (advertising, consumer privacy laws, etc).
- Compliance experience: Experience developing and managing compliance programs and helping organizations evolve from clinical R&D to commercial from a compliance perspective.
- High ethical standards and unquestionable judgment
- Admitted, active, and in good standing with the New York state bar
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.