ByHeart is a fully integrated baby nutrition company dedicated to empowering parents with choice: we want ‘best nutrition for baby’ to be possible for every parent out there.
We build each product from ground up: a team of pediatricians, breastmilk researchers and nutrition experts at the forefront of immune, cognitive, digestive and microbiome health informs our next-to-nature approach; we hand-pick the most wholesome ingredients from partners and farms that we consider family; we take pride in what we put in and in what we keep out of each recipe; we blend in our own facility in Reading, PA with a proprietary small batch process to retain highest ingredient quality.
On track to become only the 4th fully-integrated, FDA-registered baby nutrition company in the US – and the only new brand with owned manufacturing and direct supplier relationships – we just closed our over-subscribed $90M Series B in July 2021, and are about to launch our first infant formula, with a pipeline of mom and baby nutrition products to follow.
The ByHeart team is comprised of world-class doctors, pediatric researchers, seasoned formula experts, dedicated blendmasters, and passionate parents. Above all, we are people who know that innovation isn’t easy, but babies – and their parents – deserve a better feeding future.
Please visit our site to learn more, and see some recent press on ByHeart:
- ByHeart Completes Largest US Clinical Trial for a New Infant Formula Brand in the Last 25 Years Supporting their Innovation in Baby Nutrition
- Fast Company Feature- Can This Startup Engineer A Better Baby Formula
- ByHeart Announces the Launch of Cluster a First-of-Its-Kind Digital Community to Support All Parents’ Feeding Decisions
- Romper Story – 5 Things to Know About Cluster, A New Kind of Online Community for Parents
Reports To: Vice President, Supply and Operations
Location: New York, NY - Potential for Remote with occasional travel
Start Date: ASAP
The Procurement Director will manage our best-in-class farm to supply chain, from ingredient identification through fulfilment. This individual will manage relationships with our global ingredient suppliers, continuously build a robust supply chain, manage our supplier approval process, and will work intimately with the VP of Supply Operation. This is a strategic mind that brings a passion in building a best-in-class supply chain to support our mission to empower parents with real information on our ingredients, where they come from and why, and our proprietary manufacturing process and how it retains nutritional integrity of our ingredients. The Procurement Director will collaborate with marketing, research and development, and other functions to meet all supply chain goals, most importantly aligning with the procurement model and process set by the VP of Supply Operations. As one of very few fully integrated mom & baby nutrition companies globally, we view this role as critical, with the individual providing superior levels of customer service and satisfaction while adhering to strict standards of business ethics and integrity.
This position will define, and resolve known or anticipated roadblocks in value, quality, feasibility and specifications in the procurement of goods and services while contributing cost savings, supplier partnerships, and other value-added activities to support partners needs and expectations.
- Create comprehensive global sourcing strategies, operating with a global and strategic approach
- Build strategic relationships with a network of senior ByHeart global stakeholders, to understand business requirements, identify opportunities to position Procurement’s value proposition, and align strategies to execute against
- Manage existing valuable relationships with partners, working with them in coordination with the quality department to drive continuous improvement and continue to evolve our relationships as the business progresses
- Build strategic relationships with key suppliers at a senior level and lead processes to ensure value is driven from these relationships
- Negotiate contracts and collaborate with both internal and external legal to execute long-term advantageous contracts
- Create compelling business cases for change and obtain approval to execute from ByHeart Supply Chain and/or other support functions (Finance, HR) senior management,
- Deliver global benefits through effective strategy execution, aligned to assurance of supply (risk management), compliance, quality, service, cost, and innovation
- Manage a large budget with the ability to strategically modify to meet change demands
- Build the organizational capabilities necessary to implement ByHeart strategy, now and in the future
Skills & Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in Supply Chain, Science, Business, Finance
- Significant experience in procurement, leading teams
- Prior infant formula industry, dairy, nutraceutical, or food experience with preferred ingredient contacts (preferred)
- Must have experience negotiating and managing internal and external legal contracts and working directly with legal teams to close deals
- Highly developed business acumen with demonstrated success in delivering a multi-year strategy
- Demonstrated ability to forge close business relationships with internal and external stakeholders at all management levels
- Significant supplier and market knowledge of infant formula and/or dairy spray drying preferred