ByHeart is a fully integrated baby nutrition company dedicated to empowering parents with choice: we want ‘best nutrition for baby’ to be possible for every parent out there.
We build each product from ground up: a team of pediatricians, breastmilk researchers and nutrition experts at the forefront of immune, cognitive, digestive and microbiome health informs our next-to-nature approach; we hand-pick the most wholesome ingredients from partners and farms that we consider family; we take pride in what we put in and in what we keep out of each recipe; we blend in our own facility in Reading, PA with a proprietary small batch process to retain highest ingredient quality.
On track to become only the 4th fully-integrated, FDA-registered baby nutrition company in the US – and the only new brand with owned manufacturing and direct supplier relationships – we just closed our over-subscribed $90M Series B in July 2021, and are about to launch our first infant formula, with a pipeline of mom and baby nutrition products to follow.
The ByHeart team is comprised of world-class doctors, pediatric researchers, seasoned formula experts, dedicated blendmasters, and passionate parents. Above all, we are people who know that innovation isn’t easy, but babies – and their parents – deserve a better feeding future.
Please visit our site to learn more, and see some recent press on ByHeart:
- ByHeart Completes Largest US Clinical Trial for a New Infant Formula Brand in the Last 25 Years Supporting their Innovation in Baby Nutrition
- Fast Company Feature- Can This Startup Engineer A Better Baby Formula
- ByHeart Announces the Launch of Cluster a First-of-Its-Kind Digital Community to Support All Parents’ Feeding Decisions
- Romper Story – 5 Things to Know About Cluster, A New Kind of Online Community for Parents
Reports To: CEO, Founder
Location: New York, NY
Start Date: Immediate
The General Counsel will be a dynamic, talented member of the leadership team for ByHeart. He/she will serve as a trusted advisor to the CEO, leadership team and Board of Directors, and play a critical role in the strategic leadership of the company. The General Counsel will be responsible for all legal and compliance initiatives, including advising on corporate, commercial, R&D and manufacturing operations activities, in addition to litigation, employment matters, patent, trademark and other IP, strategic transactions, regulatory matters and company reporting matters.
Roles and Responsibilities
- Serve as the principal advisor to the company and Board of Directors on all legal, compliance, and governance matters.
- Assess current legal and compliance practices and infrastructure and develop functional plans for managing legal and compliance matters, including activities to be performed in-house or through outside counsel to best manage company’s legal and compliance activities, minimizing risk for the business.
- Draft, review, approve and provide oversight on company agreements, including key agreements related to suppliers and vendors, payers, distributors, clinical trials, employment, consulting, partnerships and financing.
- Develop and manage a comprehensive compliance program with a focus on establishing programs necessary to support commercialization.
- Provide leadership and technical guidance to functional areas necessary for them to develop and maintain effective policies and SOPs.
- Develop processes to prevent and detect violations of laws, company policies, promote ethical practices and ensure the implementation of compliance programs throughout the organization.
- Provide focused legal support for commercial and development products, supporting marketing and innovation teams to ensure compliant strategies, plans, and tactics.
- Ensure compliance with corporate governance requirements and relevant legal and statutory requirements for a private company.
- Serve as Corporate Secretary.
- Monitor external developments in compliance, including laws and regulations, government investigations and industry best practices, and as appropriate, provide compliance education and training to the organization.
- Partner with the Board of Directors serving as a trusted advisor on business development transactions including license agreements and external partnerships, helping to identify and assess legal issues and risks.
- Advise on legal aspects of the company’s financing activities, including assessing and advising on financing efforts of all kinds, including debt transactions and other securities-related transactions.
- Provide counsel and support on all IP-related matters.
- Manage budget for the Legal department. Provide oversight, leadership and development for the legal and compliance team.
Skills And Experience
Broad legal experience:
- A minimum 10+ years of broad-based legal experience covering multiple aspects of corporate law including business development, corporate contracting, intellectual property, employment and other areas relevant to the life sciences industry.
- Experience in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology or other FDA regulated industry, including experience spanning research, development, approval, launch and commercialization, a significant plus.
- Experience with strategic transactions, SEC and public company reporting and equity/debt financing matters a plus.
- Commercial experience: Experience with commercialization of products as well as licensing, partnerships and related considerations (advertising, consumer privacy laws, etc).
- Compliance experience: Experience developing and managing compliance programs and helping organizations evolve from clinical R&D to commercial from a compliance perspective.
- High ethical standards and unquestionable judgment
- Admitted, active, and in good standing with the New York state bar