ByHeart is a fully integrated infant nutrition company, dedicated to translating leading nutrition science and breastmilk research into evolved foods and formulas to support babies’ health and parents’ peace of mind. Ahead of our first planned product launch in 2021, we recently secured $70M in our Series A Financing, including lead investors Polaris Partners, D1 Capital and OCV Partners, and welcomed Former Pfizer Baby Nutrition Leader and Former CEO of J2 Global (What to Expect, BabyCenter, and Everyday Health) to our Board of Directors.
Our team is comprised of world-class doctors, pediatric researchers, seasoned formula experts, dedicated blendmasters, and passionate parents. Above all, we are people who believe in feeding freedom, which means all parents have the very best choices – whenever and wherever they need them.
This is an opportunity to join a growing disruptive baby nutrition company reporting directly to the General Counsel as the first attorney in the Legal Department. This role will allow the candidate to expand their legal experiences across and array of legal topics that touch ByHeart.
In this role, you will provide legal counsel on transactions, commercial contracts and legal compliance. The position will serve a broad spectrum of business units and functional areas, including procurement, marketing (e-commerce and retail), corporate development, finance, QA/QC, human resources, environmental, health and safety (EHS), government affairs, and compliance, logistics and distribution.
Reports To: GC & Chief Corporate Development & Strategy Officer
Location: New York, NY
Start Date: Immediate
- Draft, negotiate and review commercial contracts, including agreements for supply of ingredients, development, advertising firm services, sourcing, quality, clinical trial, technology service, distribution, retail partnerships, consulting, confidentiality, social media support platforms and other business and legal documents and interact directly with the various ByHeart business units in connection with the respective agreements.
- Advise management of potential risks in contractual, regulatory, financial and legal areas and propose risk mitigation strategies.
- Assure compliance with international, federal, state and local laws and regulations applicable to the company’s operations and activities.
- Assist General Counsel in implementing, improving and reviewing legal processes and procedures.
- Provide legal support for IT for ByHeart and Blendhouse (including data privacy policies and issues), US logistics and distribution, US facility operations, regulatory, and transactional for packaging engineering and equipment,
- Liaise with internal HR to handle employment related matters that raise legal issues and ensure employee handbook and policies are updated.
Skills & Qualifications
- JD degree from an ABA accredited school
- 5+ years of practice in transactional/contract law required, preferably with regulated food or pharma experience and background on FDA and FTC matters.
- 3+ years of law firm experience required
- Must be a member in good standing of a state bar, preferably Pennsylvania or New York