Complex Networks is a subsidiary of BuzzFeed, Inc.
Complex Networks is a global youth entertainment network spanning major pop culture categories including streetwear and style, food, music, sneakers and sports. Complex Networks is diversified around three pillars: advertising, e-commerce, and content where it creates and distributes original programming for Gen Z and Millennial audiences through premium distributors such as Netflix, Hulu, Turner, Corus, Facebook, Snap, YouTube, Roku and more. Additionally, Complex Networks generates revenue through a number of core business lines, including branded content and advertising, licensing, events, e-commerce, and agency consulting services.
Business Area: Complex Networks
Job Category: Editorial
Salary: 98,000-113,000 USD
Union Status: Non Union
Complex Networks is seeking a detail-oriented, organized, analytical, and data-focused individual to be its Editorial Strategy Director, responsible for monitoring performance, handling freelance budgets, managing deadlines, and driving growth for dot-com editorial, including oversight of the news operation and traffic data for features and cover stories.
- Partner with Editorial Creative Director to create editorial standards and copy guidelines across all editorial verticals, ensuring a consistent voice, tone, and level of quality. Help guide on organizational, management, workflow, and mentoring tasks for edit team, ensuring they are meeting qualitative and quantitative goals.
- Manage News Director and guide dot-com news team, using sound editorial judgment and journalistic best practices.
- Work with data analysts to review performance analytics; use data to inform strategic decision-making and meet set goals for audience growth. Drive improvements in content, reach and engagement across all verticals, employing SEO strategy and other traffic optimizations.
- Work with Affiliate Marketing teams to ensure that affiliate linkage and arbitrage initiatives are being executed to their full potential.
- Ensure budget is in line with editorial goals and expectations.
- Manage pitch meetings and editorial calendars. Ensure editors meet all content deadlines.
- Oversee premium tentpole editorial franchises.
- Oversee content that appears on third-party partner platforms including FlipBoard, Apple News, Apple Maps, and Smart News.
- Work directly with Branded Content and Strategy teams to identify and develop sales and sponsorship opportunities.
- Work with the VP of Content to align on budget for freelancers and other contributors, and institute a workflow.
- Conceive and edit print products in conjunction with Editorial Creative Director.
- Work with Director of International Content Development to assist in managing editorial relationships with international Complex affiliates.
- 5+ years relevant management experience in a fast-paced, constantly evolving digital publishing environment
- Experience developing talent and keeping creative work streams on track
- An unflinching commitment to impactful journalism and the editorial mission of Complex
- A sound understanding of the evolving digital media landscape, our critical place in it, and how our editorial can continue to help Complex engage and find new audiences in the U.S. and abroad
- Experience working collaboratively with in-house product/platform teams to figure out more ways to increase the reach of our journalism
- Organized, timely, and detail oriented approach to all tasks
- Strong written and verbal communication, interpersonal, organizational skills
- Practices Strong Ethics and Values
- Maintains Strong Journalistic Integrity
- Directs Others With Discipline and Empathy
- Drives Team Forward With Eye on Results
- Makes Timely Decisions
- Offers Solutions on Hiring and Staffing
About BuzzFeed, Inc.
BuzzFeed, Inc. is the world's leading tech-powered, diversified media company that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally through its cross-platform news and entertainment network. The company produces articles, lists, quizzes, videos, and original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News and HuffPost; an industry-leading affiliate business, strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Commerce; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
Life at BuzzFeed, Inc.
We celebrate inclusion and are committed to equal opportunity employment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
You can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options.
- A generous benefits program featuring paid time off, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more.
We want all employees to feel safe and comfortable when they engage in any in-person meetings, when visiting the office, or when working from an offsite production or meeting location. As part of this commitment to health and safety, BuzzFeed requires COVID-19 vaccines for current U.S. employees, including all newly hired employees. Requests for accommodation per applicable law for health and/or religious reasons will be considered. Union employees are subject to what is outlined in their applicable collective bargaining agreement.
Note: BuzzFeed, Inc. offers remote/flexible work (unless specified to be required to be in-person) and open to hiring remote candidates who are residents in the following states: CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, KY, MA, MD, ME, MI, MN, MS, MT, NC, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA, and WV. For non sales roles, we can also hire in AK, AR, AZ, ID, KS, MO, ND, SC, and VT.