About BuzzFeed, Inc.
BuzzFeed, Inc. (Ticker: BZFD) is home to the best of the internet. Across food, news, pop culture and commerce, our brands drive conversation and inspire what audiences watch, read, buy, and obsess over next. Born on the internet in 2006, BuzzFeed, Inc. is committed to making it better: providing trusted, quality, brand-safe news and entertainment to hundreds of millions of people; making content on the internet more inclusive, empathetic, and creative; and inspiring our audience to live better lives. We'll continue to recruit the best founders and creators to join us in this mission, with more additions like Complex Networks and HuffPost to come.
The Content Systems team builds the tools and services that bring BuzzFeed's content to life. Our engineering team is looking for a frontend developer to help us develop applications that creators use to make everything from lists to quizzes to long news features. This role is perfect for someone with a passion for digital media and who wants to work on projects with a global impact.
You'll report to an Engineering Manager in New York, surrounded by passionate people who are generous with their time and want to help you grow at BuzzFeed. You'll work with engineering, product, design, and data science colleagues globally across time zones.
The Content Systems team manages our proprietary CMS, a set of tools that excels at helping creators make content that sets BuzzFeed apart. Our platform encourages creators to experiment and learn, and it's important to us that our tools be reliable, easy to use, and bring joy to the creation process.
We know that good engineers come from a variety of backgrounds and programming languages, so if you don't already know the languages and frameworks we use, we know you'll learn.
- Our frontend consists of several JS frameworks, such as React, Preact, and Backbone
- Most of our backend services are written in Python, Go, or Node, depending on the context of the service.
- Monitoring and instrumentation is essential for our content systems. We use a combination of Datadog, Sentry, and proprietary services
- We believe in ownership over the entire engineering cycle - the same engineers architect, build, test, deploy, monitor, and run their services using containers on AWS/GCP
- Develop features in our CMS and web platform to help us create, curate, and distribute BuzzFeed's posts to readers around the world
- Work with other software engineers, designers, product managers, and others to understand and shape work before it becomes code and after it ships to production
- Reach across the entire tech stack at BuzzFeed and get an understanding of large-scale media companies' architecture and operations
- 5 or more years of experience in software engineering
- Understanding of the web is for everyone and build inclusive, accessible systems
- Are a passionate and product-focused engineer who enjoys contributing to and leading technical projects and working with engineers at all levels
- Value testing, instrumenting and documenting your work
- Adapt quickly to change and love to ship and iterate, building on new user research, insights and data
Life at BuzzFeed, Inc.
We celebrate inclusion and are committed to equal opportunity employment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
You can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options.
- A generous benefits program featuring paid time off, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more.
We want all employees to feel safe and comfortable when they engage in any in-person meetings, when visiting the office, or when working from an offsite production or meeting location. As part of this commitment to health and safety, BuzzFeed requires COVID-19 vaccines for current U.S. employees, including all newly hired employees. Requests for accommodation per applicable law for health and/or religious reasons will be considered. Union employees are subject to what is outlined in their applicable collective bargaining agreement.
Note: BuzzFeed, Inc. offers remote/flexible work (unless specified to be required to be in-person) and open to hiring remote candidates who are residents in the following states: CA, CO, CT, DC, DE, FL, GA, HI, IL, IN, KY, MA, MD, MI, MS, MT, NC, NH, NJ, NM, NY, OH, OR, PA, TX, VA, WA, and WV. For non sales roles, we can also hire in AK, AR, AZ, ID, KS, MO, ND, SC, and VT.