BuzzFeed is the world's leading tech-powered, diversified media company that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally through its cross-platform news and entertainment network. We produce articles, lists, quizzes, videos, and original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world's largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News and HuffPost; original pop culture and entertainment programming through Complex Networks; an industry-leading affiliate business, strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Commerce; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
Come join one of the most ambitious newsrooms in the world: BuzzFeed News is seeking an editor to lead our work gathering, analyzing, and interpreting data.
The data editor will be embedded on the investigations team, where they will manage two data-focused reporters, and also collaborate deeply with reporters and editors across all desks, from breaking news, science, and technology to inequality and politics. This data team has made major contributions to explosive projects, several of which have won major journalism awards. We take big swings and we get impact.
We’re looking for someone with a passion for news, a devotion to rigor, and a commitment to using (and helping others to use) data analysis to find amazing, important stories at every scale. If you think you’re a great fit, but don’t meet some of the criteria below, no problem; just explain your qualifications in your cover letter.
An ideal candidate will:
- Play well with others. You should enjoy — and excel at — collaborating with reporters, editors, lawyers, designers, and more. You should never waver on questions of accuracy, but should approach all discussions with a spirit of generosity and respect.
- Write clearly. You must be able to translate findings into lucid, jargon-free language that the rest of the newsroom and the general public can appreciate.
- Approach data analysis with fluency and ambition. The most common techniques in data analysis should feel like second nature to you. You should be excited to learn more advanced techniques when a particular project calls for using them and be thinking of innovative ways to use (and present) data to drive high-impact journalism. You should have experience conducting these analyses in Python and/or R, and be comfortable reviewing colleagues’ code written in those languages.
- Understand core statistical concepts and gotchas. You don’t need a degree in statistics, but you should be familiar with statistical significance testing, linear/logistic regression, sampling bias, and other key concepts. And you should feel comfortable reaching out to experts when a project’s statistical demands exceed your knowledge.
- Resourcefully obtain and restructure data. The data we want is rarely the data we have. So you should, ideally, be able to file Freedom of Information Act requests, scrape web pages, munge spreadsheets, and extract structured data from unstructured documents — and to advise others on how to do so.
- Have substantial investigative experience. Much of the data editor’s work involves assisting with investigative projects and overseeing such work by others. You should, ideally, have substantial experience using data analysis to help hold powerful entities accountable, and an appreciation for the rigor that must accompany it.
- Maintain a commitment to transparency. Since 2014, BuzzFeed News has been a pioneer in making data analysis more transparent and reproducible. We show our work. We have published more than 100 repositories containing data, code, and methodologies that supported our reporting. We hope this approach excites you, and that you embrace it.
This person will report to the BuzzFeed News investigations editor.
FYI — job descriptions are not a one size fits all, just because you don’t meet every requirement doesn’t mean we don’t want to hear from you. If you think you’d be a good fit for the job anyway, use your application to show us why!
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options
A generous benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.
At BuzzFeed, we want all employees to feel safe and comfortable when they engage in any in-person meetings, when visiting the office, or when working from an offsite production or meeting location. As part of this commitment to health and safety, BuzzFeed requires COVID-19 vaccines for current U.S. employees, including all newly hired employees. Requests for accommodation per applicable law for health and/or religious reasons will be considered. Union employees are subject to what is outlined in their applicable collective bargaining agreement.