BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered, diversified media company that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally through its cross-platform news and entertainment network. The company produces articles, lists, quizzes, videos, and original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News and HuffPost; an industry-leading affiliate business, strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Commerce; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
The mission of BuzzFeed’s Analytics group is to empower teams with reliable and accessible data. Over the years we have invested in building a robust data platform to govern our core datasets, tools, and data services in support of this critical mission.
As the Sr. Engineering Manager of our data platform you will lead a team of software engineers working on data governance, data aggregation tools, and a set of data collection tools. You will manage a team of 4 engineers. You will be deeply involved in shaping BuzzFeed’s analytics roadmap and work closely with Engineering and Analytics leadership to identify opportunities to continue to develop our data platform.
This is a hands-on role where you will be expected to balance people management, cross-functional leadership, and coding.
- Drive the technical vision for BuzzFeed’s analytics platform, tools and services
- Be responsible for BuzzFeed’s data governance efforts, including improvements to the BuzzFeed Data Model and monitoring for quality and availability of core datasets
- Iterate on BuzzFeed’s data modeling approach to support the growing complexity of raw and materialized datasets
- Improve BuzzFeed’s 3rd party data collection libraries and tools
- Build internal analytics tools used widely by employees across the company
- Build strong, collaborative relationship with stakeholders and strategically work towards executing your team’s vision
- Clearly communicate architectural decisions, plans, and standards for core analytics products and services
- Manage a team of software engineers working on a broad range of analytics engineering initiatives
- Love data, and understanding how teams use it, and how it helps drive decisions
- Have a good understanding of data warehousing concepts and ETL. Hands-on experience with Google Cloud’s ecosystem is a plus.
- Have a high level of proficiency in data modeling using SQL and Python. You have taken on hands-on modeling tasks recently, and are able to regularly dive deep into datasets.
- Recognize the importance of ensuring that stakeholders have access to timely and reliable data via APIs, BI tools, and dashboards.
- You can influence and advocate for your team’s needs while taking into account cross-functional trade offs and cost implications.
- Contribute high quality technical work, make sound technical decisions, and set patterns for others to follow
- Promote an environment of knowledge sharing and continuous learning
- You love developing and growing people and have a track record doing it
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options
A generous benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more.
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.