BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered, diversified media company that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally through its cross-platform news and entertainment network. The company produces articles, lists, quizzes, videos, and original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News and HuffPost; an industry-leading affiliate business, strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Commerce; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is looking for a driven, creative, and internet-obsessed writer to join its Lifestyle properties — which cover topics including mental health and wellness, food, travel, sex and relationships, beauty, DIY/home, parenting, general life skills, and more.
Our Lifestyle coverage is often service-driven and centered around anything people might be interested in doing better or learning more about. Depending on the coverage area, you will be expected to write on the topic with authority, or lay out a plan to research and interview experts who are.
You should have enough lifestyle knowledge to share tips and tricks, and enough of a low-key (or high-key) internet obsession to quickly find, drive, and react to current trends and news. You’re just as comfortable testing out morning routine hacks or the latest viral skincare combo as you are interviewing experts or writing about a personal life change.
The ideal candidate will be able to produce work quickly, experiment with lots of different content types, and be interested in analyzing the results of their work.
BuzzFeed is working remotely through September 2021, and being based in NYC or LA is ideal for an eventual return to our offices. However, we are open to considering candidates who are legally authorized to work in the US without sponsorship in the following states: California, Colorado, Connecticut, DC, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Illinois, Kentucky, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Montana, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Texas, Virginia, and Washington.
- Write lifestyle posts that are shareable, helpful, entertaining, and cater to a diverse audience
- Create service-driven lifestyle content — like personal ‘I Trieds’ and expert-sourced explainers — with an eye on SEO
- Stay up-to-date with current happenings and trending topics around lifestyle — including anything bubbling up on Reddit, TikTok, or Instagram
- Monitor and analyze your posts' traffic, performance, and audience impact
- Potentially help manage a small freelance network
- At least 1 year experience writing content about lifestyle for a website or magazine (or exemplary blogging/writing experience)
- Sharable and conversational writing and editing skills, including strong spelling, grammar, and attention to detail
- Ability to optimize content for maximum engagement across platforms like Google Discover, TikTok, Instagram, Pinterest, and Flipboard
- An understanding and appreciation of BuzzFeed’s and Tasty’s voice and diverse audience (primarily Gen Z and Millennial)
FYI — just because you don’t meet every requirement doesn’t mean we don’t want to hear from you. If you think you’d be a good fit for the job anyway, use your application to show us why!
In lieu of a traditional cover letter, please include a response to the following with your application:
- Tell us about your quarantine experience as it relates to Lifestyle: What was the best thing you tried, learned, or bought? How did your everyday habits change (or not change)?
- Who is an expert or prominent figure in the Lifestyle space that you find fascinating — and why?
- Tell us about a few Lifestyle-related things that you absolutely love. (Could be: Under-the-radar IG or TikTok accounts; TV shows, podcasts, or newsletters; secret menu items; small businesses, etc)
- Include links to any relevant previous work, social media profiles, or portfolios.
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options
A generous benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more.
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.