BuzzFeed is the world’s leading independent digital media and tech company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally and spreads Joy and Truth across the internet.
Our portfolio of brands are household names that people rely on to inform and entertain, including: BuzzFeed, BuzzFeed News, Tasty, Nifty, Bring Me, Cocoa Butter, Pero Like, Worth It, and Unsolved to name a few! These properties and their Creators reach over 134M people a month through articles, lists, videos, animations, quizzes, podcasts, original series, newsletters and more.
The mission of BuzzFeed’s Infrastructure group is to enable BuzzFeed technical teams to build and operate resilient, secure, and cost-effective products.
In order to accomplish that goal, our group has built a self-serve platform (PaaS) on top of AWS and GCP that enables technical teams to be fully autonomous in the development, deployment, and maintenance of their applications. For example, any BuzzFeed engineers can create and deploy an application, attach a data store to it, and responsibly route traffic to it without having to coordinate with our team.
While this approach enables all tech teams to move quickly and focus on solving product challenges (rather than infrastructure ones), it also allows us to bake industry best practices at the core of all of our services, which guarantees a level of standardization, resilience, and security across BuzzFeed’s fleet of applications.
The Infrastructure group is responsible for continually evolving BuzzFeed’s tech platform and its engineering best practices.
We’re looking for an Engineering Manager who is passionate about building healthy high-performing teams. Experience building PaaS tooling is not required. However you should have a track record for making sound technical decisions in a modern, distributed environment.
This is a hands-on role where you are expected to balance people management, cross-functional leadership, and coding.
Management & Mentorship
- Provide technical mentorship and career guidance to team members.
- Contribute actively towards the development and structure of the team, including team structure, recruiting, and hiring.
- Work through others, lifting the skills and expertise of those around you.
- Foster a diverse and inclusive environment.
- Continuously optimize how we work. Improve processes to help the team do its best work and interface effectively with the rest of BuzzFeed Tech.
- Monitor and adjust your team’s pace to instill urgency for success but protects from undue stress and burnout.
- Contribute high quality technical work, make sound technical decisions, and set patterns for others to follow.
- Engage with partners and facilitate collaboration between engineering teams across the company.
- Ensure the team fully understands the goals and objectives of BuzzFeed as a company and how their work fits into the bigger picture.
- Promote an environment of knowledge sharing and continuous learning.
- Expertise building PaaS tooling is not required. However if you haven’t worked on a platform team in the past, you should have strong opinions on how to build scalable distributed systems.
- You flourish in a high level of autonomy and responsibility.
- You love developing and growing people and have a track record doing it.
- You understand how to create an inclusive work environment where every employee can be their true self.
- You value quality of work over quantity. Outcome over output.
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth through work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options
A generous benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more.
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.