BuzzFeed is the world’s leading independent digital media and tech company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally and spreads Joy and Truth across the internet.
Our portfolio of brands are household names that people rely on to inform and entertain, including: BuzzFeed, BuzzFeed News, Tasty, Nifty, Bring Me, Cocoa Butter, Pero Like, Worth It, and Unsolved to name a few! These properties and their Creators reach over 134M people a month through articles, lists, videos, animations, quizzes, podcasts, original series, newsletters and more.
BuzzFeed is looking for a smart, detail-oriented person with previous editing/writing experience to serve as a full-time freelance Community Editor. This person will be responsible for editing and featuring user-generated content for the site and forming working relationships with our Community Contributors.
This is an ideal position for an individual who would like an opportunity to work with an active online community, who prides themselves on their excellent grammar and attention to detail, and is comfortable in a dynamic start-up environment. This role is primarily a mid to senior-level editing role but with opportunities to write.
This is a six-month position with the possibility of an extension. Our offices are located in NY but this role can be remote from anywhere in the US
- Reviewing, editing, and promoting user-generated posts
- Escalating flagged posts to Community Editors
- Help identify formats/frames/trends coming from the Community
- Communicate clearly and positively with BuzzFeed’s Community users
- 2-3 years of experience working at digital media company, preferably in an editing role
- Knowledge and enthusiasm for pop culture, TV & movies, and internet trends
- High level of attention to detail, excellent organizational skills and ability to coordinate and strategize effectively with other Community Editors
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to thrive and be highly effective in a fast-paced and fluid environment
- Include a few short paragraphs in your application explaining why you'd be a good fit for this particular position, and what your favorite BuzzFeed quiz is and why. No formal cover letters, please.
- Create 1-2 BuzzFeed Community posts about a pop culture topic you’re interested in or passionate about; at least one must be a quiz. Link to your account in the “Link to portfolio” section of your application.
- Attach a resume
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe we benefit from the diverse perspectives within and across our teams. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment practices.
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. The company aims to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.