BuzzFeed News is hiring a National Editor to reimagine how we cover politics and government. You are someone excited to lead the political conversation in this transformative moment. You will also be an experienced journalist ready to instill a fresh and powerful vision for how to cover these two central beats — and how to better reflect the full experiences of people of color in America. We offer the chance to help reshape how our industry typically thinks about this coverage. You would know the ins and outs of US politics and demonstrate a knowledge and commitment to issues of race, multiculturalism, and especially Black people’s experience in America.
The National Editor will be a newsroom leader, managing two teams with about 15 reporters and editors combined. You have a commitment to accountability journalism and empathetic reporting, a desire to publish scoops of facts and ideas, and an understanding of how politics, culture, government and the internet converge. The National Editor will report directly to the Editor-in-Chief, shaping BuzzFeed News overall.
- You will have deft news judgment and an ability to edit pieces both for impact and compelling narrative. You will need to show a commitment to centering under-reported communities and voices, and to helping journalists build a diverse base of sources.
- You will vet articles with steely rigor and write with power and grace.
- As a member of the news leadership team, this editor will be involved in newsroom-wide decisions, including tough journalism and management calls.
- You will have at least 5 years experience as a reporter and/or editor covering government and/or politics, with experience covering their intersection with race in America. Editing experience is not mandatory, but encouraged. A clear and dynamic vision is required.
Finally: This is not any newsroom. This is BuzzFeed News. We are a team of dogged, creative, and nimble journalists who report to people on the internet, in the language of the internet. Our tagline, “Reporting To You,” reminds us of what — and who — we’re here for. This ethos helps us beat news organizations ten times our size.
And in a time when trust of the media is at an all-time low, we don’t just ask our audience to trust us blindly: We show our work, and publish the receipts. You don't have to trust us that a secret, dossier about Trump, full of unverified and even false claims, was circulating among the highest levels of government; we published it. You don’t have to trust us that the British press has been harsher on Meghan Markle than Kate Middleton; we have side-by-side comparisons of 20 headlines that make it crystal clear. We report aggressively about politics and government no matter what side of the aisle the subject is on. We understand the internet is not separate from “real life,” and that stories about what happens online are just as important as those about problematic police unions or scientific studies or the dark side of a beloved charity. And we expose and debunk misinformation and falsehoods.
We are committed to diversity in the people we write about, the audience we serve, and the talented people we call our colleagues. “Identity” is not a beat to us; it’s intertwined in every story we write.
The politics and government desks have reporters in DC, New York, and Ohio. You can be based in DC, New York, or LA, or possibly even other cities — but when we can travel again, you would have to spend time in DC regularly.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and three stories you’ve edited, explaining how you edited them. If you have not edited, submit three stories you’ve written. You may be asked to write a memo responding to several questions and to take an edit test.
All job applications must be received through the official BuzzFeed Jobs board (https://www.buzzfeed.com/about/jobs), including referrals. It is BuzzFeed's practice to not schedule job interviews until after an application is submitted through our jobs board.
Life at BuzzFeed
At BuzzFeed, we believe our work benefits from the diverse perspectives of our employees. As such, BuzzFeed celebrates inclusion and is committed to equal opportunity employment. At BuzzFeed, you can expect:
- A supportive, inclusive atmosphere on a team that values your contributions
- Opportunities for personal and professional growth via work experience, offerings from our in-house Learning @ BuzzFeed team, our Employee Resource Groups, and more
- An attractive and equitable compensation package, including salary and stock options
- A generous and well-rounded benefits program featuring PTO, unlimited sick time, comprehensive medical benefits, a family leave policy, access to mental health platforms, retirement plans, gym and wellness discounts, and much more
- Plenty of snacks (healthy and indulgent), catered lunches, beverages, etc..
BuzzFeed is the world’s leading tech-powered media company, with a cross-platform news and entertainment network that reaches hundreds of millions of people globally. We aim to spread truth and joy across the internet by producing articles, lists, quizzes, videos, original series; lifestyle content through brands including Tasty, the world’s largest social food network; original reporting and investigative journalism through BuzzFeed News; strategic partnerships, licensing and product development through BuzzFeed Marketing; and original productions across broadcast, cable, SVOD, film and digital platforms for BuzzFeed Studios.
BuzzFeed is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, and will not be discriminated against based on age, race, gender, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, disability or any other protected category.