The BuzzFeed News team in Toronto is seeking an experienced videographer with strong editorial judgement for a five-month YouTube project producing weekly videos that debunk fake news, misinformation, scams, and hoaxes. Successful candidates have a proven track record of delivering compelling visual content and an ability to approach news in a unique fashion. The ideal videographer has a strong command of how news breaks and spreads on social media. Candidates must be detail-oriented, critical thinkers with an ability to work in a fast-paced, collaborative environment.
- All technical elements of shooting, lighting and sound.
- Editing final videos.
- Identifying, researching and developing stories.
- Working with reporters, newsroom editors, senior producer, producers, and production assistants.
- Collaborating with designers and editors to create and incorporate unique graphics.
- Collaborating with digital audience and curation teams on editorial and social videos.
- Help generate ideas for, and experiment with new video formats
- 3-5 years experience in news, video production or digital media.
- Proficiency with camera, lighting and sound equipment.
- Capable video editor under tight deadlines.
- Experience with Adobe creative Cloud (including Premiere pro & Photoshop; After Effects skills a plus)
- Experience working with motion graphics and music libraries.
- Working familiarity with successful content on YouTube platform.
- Strong editorial judgement and breaking news experience.
- Excellent writing and communication skills.
- Ability to multitask and handle breaking news situations.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and stay organized in a high-pressure news environment.
To apply, please include:
- A one-page cover letter explaining why you’re the right fit for this position.
- Your resume in PDF format.
- Between two and five links to videos you have produced.
BuzzFeed is the leading independent digital media and tech company delivering news and entertainment content to a global audience. We have offices in 19 cities around the world and more than 1600 employees including reporters, video producers, data scientists, engineers, brand strategists, and more. We fuse hard work and fun, through a culture of experimentation, teamwork, equality, and humble confidence.