📣 A bit about the role.
Butternut Box is looking for a Protein Purchaser to join our Procurement & Supply Chain Team. In this role, you will be responsible for the procurement of certain categories of our extensive protein portfolio we use to produce our high quality fresh dog food. This will include sourcing new suppliers, developing new products, negotiating prices, mapping our supply risks, a key focus on margin, capacity tracking and creating a contingency plan for supply as we quickly scale and grow.
You will report into our Senior Protein Purchaser and will work cross-functionally across the whole operation. You will be working alongside an energetic team where your focus is to support the ownership of our food supply. Travel will be required on an ad-hoc basis to our suppliers and you will be expected to be on site in Doncaster several days per week.
Sourcing & Supply
- Managing your categories' supply of materials ensuring we have enough contracted supply to meet our ambitious growth plans
- Taking responsibility for supplier performance in terms of monitoring performance measures and applying corrective action where appropriate to avoid any impact on quality, operations, customers & margin
- Developing strategies for the protein category that will deliver performance on cost reduction targets, quality, risk mitigation, innovation & growth as well as sustainability
- Contributing to the development of the procurement & supply chain function as we grow as a business such as developing new tools, reporting & processes
Financial strategy & execution
- Ensuring pricing meets or beats weekly budget with sustainable supply
- Constantly monitoring your market data on market movements to ensure pricing and availability is in line or better than the market and providing your market intelligence to the business
👋 A bit about you.
- Demonstrated experience of working with multiple proteins
- Deep rooted protein industry knowledge
- Experience working with the food manufacturing industry (preferred)
- Organised with a keen eye for detail
- Flexible with a strong ability to adapt to changing priorities and needs of the business
- Strong communication skills & enjoy problem solving
- Creative with an open-minded approach, a hunger to learn and a desire for self-improvement
- Passion for startups, e-commerce and dogs!
🐶 A bit about us.
At Butternut, we put the food back into dog food. We believe dogs deserve to eat the healthiest, most natural and tastiest food with none of the nasties. That’s why we make freshly prepared dog food. Cooked like you would at home. Delivered in perfect portions.
Our goal is to help dogs live healthier, happier and longer lives whilst leaving humans smiling after every interaction. We’ve come a long way since our co-founders (Kev & Dave) hand-delivered the first Butternut Box, we now feed a lot of dogs across the UK - but we want to feed dogs everywhere. And to do this, we need a team of brilliant people who share that ambition to come and work with us.
🙌 A bit about what we offer.
- 25 days holiday (plus 8 bank holidays) and an additional day for every year of service
- £500 personal learning & development budget
- Co-working office space
- Butternut Box employee discount
- Cycle to work scheme
- Pension with NEST
- Flexible working hours and work from home options
- Friday drinks and monthly team socials
- Lots of office dogs (Apple, Chambo, Willow, Pugwash, Bella, Gizmo, River, Pip and many more….)
❗️A few things to note:
- There is no closing date for this role. However, we normally experience a high volume of applications so if you are interested we suggest applying as soon as possible.
- We aim to respond to all applicants personally. Our recruitment team is small so do bear with us.
- Butternut Box is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity and inclusion. We welcome people of different nationalities, backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
- We're not afraid of putting extra weight on candidates from underrepresented groups. We want strong, diverse teams built from different backgrounds, experiences, and identities. We're ready for the ongoing work that goes into building an inclusive, supportive place for you to do the best work of your career.
- We are not looking for external agency support with this role.