📣 A bit about the role.
We're looking for a Sustainability Manager with a real passion for driving positive social and environmental change. We want to be the most innovative business in our category which means doing more for the dogs we feed and the humans that look after them, all the while having a positive impact on the planet we live in. Sustainability touches so many aspects of our business, whether it's the ingredients we source, the way we manage our brand new kitchen, or how we get our fresh meals to customers.
As our first hire dedicated to sustainability and joining the newly formed Proposition, Innovation & Insights team, you'll have the opportunity to shape our sustainability strategy and where we choose to focus our efforts. You'll also be delivering on those tactical and strategic initiatives while working collaboratively with a whole host of people inside and outside the business. We'd like to meet potential candidates who aren't afraid to challenge the way we do things today and ask the big questions (we know we have a long way to go), and of course share our passion for helping dogs to live healthier, happier and longer lives.
In this role you can expect to:
Evaluating our environmental impact and determining success measures
- Gaining a deep understanding of where we already are in our sustainability journey, including measuring our carbon footprint, with the support from external agencies and internal teams
- Identifying the most relevant frameworks or standards for measuring progress, including technical and customer-led metrics, through data analysis and qualitative insight
Setting our vision for sustainability, and developing & prioritising initiatives
- Championing sustainability across the business and developing clear and robust arguments to support initiatives that will reduce our environmental impact
- Outlining the most impactful initiatives to execute on by understanding their environmental, commercial and customer impact, and required effort, to inform our vision and set of priorities
Managing sustainability projects from inception to launch and review
- Coordinating a suite of tactical initiatives and broader, strategic projects to deliver real change within the business, including planning, scoping, leading, and reporting
- Managing project stakeholders and collaborating across internal teams (incl. Procurement, People, NPD, Technical, Brand & Creative etc.) and third parties (suppliers, agencies etc.)
Project managing the cross-functional roadmap to obtain and retain B Corp certification
- Working collaboratively with People, Operations and Supply-chain on our B Corp submission and re-certification every three years
Helping the wider business to make real change and communicate our efforts
- Acting as technical support and a stakeholder for projects where sustainability is a consideration, such as in new product development and operational improvements, and in communicating changes to customers and customer-facing teams
- Developing engaging and useful guidelines, tools and educational resources for our internal teams to drive change amongst our suppliers and partners
👋 A bit about you.
- A real passion for sustainability and belief in the power of business to drive real positive change within an industry
- Experience working in fields relating to sustainability and a good understanding of the landscape and challenges (direct-to-consumer and/or food experience is a plus but not essential)
- Analytical and comfortable working with data, including experience in developing science-based targets or analysing environmental data
- Highly organised with experience leading cross-functional projects
- Willingness to learn and an ability to understand complex topics and how they might impact our business and future plans
- Strong communication skills and ability to articulate highly technical and science-based information to non-technical teams
- Comfortable communicating through a range of methods such as written reports, presentations, training sessions, conversations with suppliers etc.
- Not afraid to challenge some of the fundamentals of our business where there are areas to make significant improvements, and coming up with creative solutions
🐶 A bit about us.
At Butternut, we put the food back into dog food. We believe dogs deserve to eat the healthiest, most natural and tastiest food with none of the nasties. That’s why we make freshly prepared dog food. Cooked like you would at home. Delivered in perfect portions.
Our goal is to help dogs live healthier, happier and longer lives whilst leaving humans smiling after every interaction. We’ve come a long way since our co-founders (Kev & Dave) hand-delivered the first Butternut Box, we now feed a lot of dogs across the UK - but we want to feed dogs everywhere. And to do this, we need a team of brilliant people who share that ambition to come and work with us.
🙌 A bit about what we offer.
- 25 days holiday (plus 8 bank holidays) and an additional day for every year of service
- £500 personal learning & development budget
- Co-working office space
- Butternut Box employee discount
- Cycle to work scheme
- Pension with NEST
- Flexible working hours and work from home options
- Friday drinks and monthly team socials
- Lots of office dogs (Apple, Chambo, Willow, Pugwash, Bella, Gizmo, River, Pip and many more….)
❗️A few things to note:
- There is no closing date for this role. However, we normally experience a high volume of applications so if you are interested we suggest applying as soon as possible.
- We aim to respond to all applicants personally. Our recruitment team is small so do bear with us.
- Butternut Box is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity and inclusion. We welcome people of different nationalities, backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
- We're not afraid of putting extra weight on candidates from underrepresented groups. We want strong, diverse teams built from different backgrounds, experiences, and identities. We're ready for the ongoing work that goes into building an inclusive, supportive place for you to do the best work of your career.
- We are not looking for external agency support with this role.