📣 A bit about the role.
As part of the Product Engineering team, you will work closely with engineers, product managers, designers and stakeholders to help solve our customers' problems and directly impact their (and their dog's) daily lives.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Ship customer-facing products constantly.
- Contribute to the architecture and development direction of the team to ensure quality code is written and excellent products are built.
- Work across the backend stack (Ruby on Rails, Postgresql, Heroku) to deliver quality, maintainable code.
- Collaborate and learn with other team members via pair programming, mentoring, code reviews, and technical talks.
- Learn about and champion best practices in code, architecture & processes.
🕵🏽♀️ Who we are looking for.
We're looking for a Rails Engineer to join our Product Engineering team. You'll help us with the following challenges:
- Work closely with PM's, designers and other engineers to build features and products to delight our customers and make their dogs' lives better.
- Do that by working across the backend stack using Rails and Postgresql.
- Ensure the systems we build are modular, scalable and reliable.
Here are some of the projects the team have worked on recently:
- Enabling international expansion by adapting our systems for other currencies and languages.
- Helping customers better resolve issues with their deliveries themselves through a self-serve platform that looks great and is easy to use.
- Building a new onboarding flow to make sure new customers feel at home with Butternut
You'll get to use a lot of exciting technology here at Butternut:
- CI/CD best practices
👋 A bit about you.
- 2+ years commercial experience in a similar role using Ruby.
- An interest in constantly learning new tools and developing your skills.
- A true motivation to ship customer-facing products.
- Pro-active, driven, entrepreneurial 'can do’ attitude.
- Passion for startups.
- Obsessed with dogs. Naturally.
🐶 A bit about us.
At Butternut, we put the food back into dog food. We believe dogs deserve to eat the healthiest, most natural and tastiest food with none of the nasties. That’s why we make freshly prepared dog food. Cooked like you would at home. Delivered in perfect portions.
Our goal is to help dogs live healthier, happier and longer lives whilst leaving humans smiling after every interaction. We’ve come a long way since our co-founders (Kev & Dave) hand-delivered the first Butternut Box, we now feed a lot of dogs across the UK - but we want to feed dogs everywhere. And to do this, we need a team of brilliant people who share that ambition to come and work with us.
🙌 A bit about what we offer.
- 25 days holiday (plus 8 bank holidays) and an additional day for every year of service
- £500 personal learning & development budget
- Co-working office space at Huckletree West
- Butternut Box employee discount
- Cycle to work scheme
- Pension with NEST
- Flexible working hours and work from home options
- Friday drinks & monthly team socials
- Lots of office dogs (Apple, Chambo, Willow, Pugwash, Bella, Gizmo, River, Pip and many more….)
❗️A few things to note:
- There is no specific date this role will go down but we normally experience a high volume of applications so if you are interested we suggest applying as soon as possible.
- We aim to respond to all applicants personally. Our recruitment team is small so do bear with us.
- We don’t use external recruitment agencies for assistance on roles.
- We're not afraid of putting extra weight on candidates from underrepresented groups. We want strong, diverse teams built from different backgrounds, experiences, and identities. We're ready for the ongoing work that goes into building an inclusive, supportive place for you to do the best work of your career.