📣A bit about the role.
We’re looking for a hard-working, ambitious and hands-on Financial Controller to support our Finance Director in building out the reporting & control elements of the FinOps function and developing a strong team. You are a qualified accountant with a mix of strong technical, commercial and communication skills. We are looking for someone who is keen for a step up in a fast-paced start-up environment where comfort with ambiguity is a must.
This role will report into our Finance Director but will work closely with a wide range of stakeholders across the business.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Be given a high level of responsibility from day one for the timely delivery of reporting
- Take full accountability for the continued implementation of a robust control environment that allows us to scale sustainably
- Challenge and replace established processes and procedures where necessary
- Work with managers to ensure their costs are scaling as the business strives for profitability
- Continually develop the management accounts and KPIs as we grow to ensure decisions are taken on the correct information
- Oversee statutory reporting and tax work including the annual R&D claim
- Carefully manage our cash flow and negotiate with suppliers to continually improve our working capital cycle
- Take responsibility for the professional development and progression of your direct reports
- Partner with the Ops teams to help them understand and optimise their unit economics in various different contexts, from supply chain to manufacturing to fulfilment
- Work with different business leaders to ensure they correct potential deviations from budget on cost or topline, both proactively and retrospectively
- Implement new systems and tools to help us innovate, automate and stay ahead of the growth curve
👋A bit about you.
- 3+ years CIMA/ACCA/ACA/equivalent post-qualified experience
- Strong financial control and reporting background from within a commercial context
- Experience managing an audit process end-to-end
- Strong technical knowledge with a desire to further it
- Confident holding people to account and implementing change where needed
- Wizard on Excel
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, including an ability to explain technical concepts to non-Finance colleagues
- Pro-active, entrepreneurial 'can do’ attitude with exceptional attention to detail
- Passion for numbers & start-ups
- Obsessed with dogs!
🐶 A bit about us.
At Butternut, we put the food back into dog food. We believe dogs deserve to eat the healthiest, most natural and tastiest food with none of the nasties. That’s why we make freshly prepared dog food. Cooked like you would at home. Delivered in perfect portions.
Our goal is to help dogs live healthier, happier and longer lives whilst leaving humans smiling after every interaction. We’ve come a long way since our co-founders (Kev & Dave) hand-delivered the first Butternut Box, we now feed a lot of dogs across the UK - but we want to feed dogs everywhere. And to do this, we need a team of brilliant people who share that ambition to come and work with us.
🙌A bit about what we offer.
- Competitive salary
- 24 days holiday (plus 8 bank holidays)
- £500 personal learning & development budget
- Co-working office space at Huckletree West
- Butternut Box employee discount.
- Cycle to work scheme
- Pension with NEST
- Friday drinks & monthly team socials
- Lots of office dogs (Chambo, Willow, Pugwash, Bella, Gizmo, River, Pip and many more….)
❗️A few things to note:
- There is no specific date this role will go down but we normally experience a high volume of applications so if you are interested we suggest applying as soon as possible.
- We aim to respond to all applicants personally. Our recruitment team is small so do bear with us.
- Butternut Box is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity and inclusion. We welcome people of different nationalities, backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives.
- We don’t use external recruitment agencies for assistance on roles.