A bit about us.
At Butternut, we put the food back into dog food. We believe dogs deserve to eat the healthiest, most natural and tastiest food with none of the nasties. That’s why we make freshly prepared dog food. Cooked like you would at home. Delivered in perfect portions.
We want to change the pet food industry for the better by helping dogs live healthier, happier and longer lives. We have come a long way since our co-founders (Kevin & David) hand-delivered the first Butternut Box.
We are on a mission to provide the best customer experience, feed more dogs and revolutionize an arcane industry using the latest technology. That’s where you come in.
Who we are looking for.
You are a software engineer with 1+ years of commercial experience. You care deeply about the quality of products you and your team build, and are motivated by constantly shipping features and products that directly impact customer's lives. Seeing users benefit from your work is what gets you out of the bed in the morning. You love the web and new technologies (We use React, Redux and Elm on a regular basis). You work best by collaborating with other engineers, designers and product managers to make this all happen. Finally, you can't think of anything better than joining a company who's mission is to improve dog's lives.
A bit about the role.
As part of the engineering team, you will report into our Head of Engineering. You will also work closely with the Product, Marketing and Customer Love Teams to help solve our customers' problems and directly impact their (and their dog's) daily lives.
In this role, you can expect to:
- Ship customer-facing products constantly.
- Contribute to the architecture and development direction of the team to ensure quality code is written and excellent products are built.
- Work across the stack (Ruby on Rails, Elm, React JS, Redux , PostgreSQL) to deliver quality, maintainable code.
- Collaborate and learn with other team members via pair programming, mentoring, code reviews, and technical talks.
- Learn about and champion best practices in code, architecture & processes.
A bit about you.
- 1+ years commercial experience in a similar role
- Commercial experience in Ruby or another object-oriented language
- An interest in constantly learning new tools and developing your skills
- A true motiviation to ship customer-facing products
- Pro-active, driven, entrepreneurial 'can do’ attitude
- Passion for startups
- Obsessed with dogs!
What we can offer.
- The ability to make a huge impact at a VC-backed startup.
- Competitive salary & all the equipment you need.
- 24 days holiday per year.
- A dedicated office in a co-working space in White City
- Bi weekly ‘lunch & learns’
- Friday beers, monthly socials, and quarterly off-site events.
- Lots of office dogs to hang out with. (Chambo, Bella, Willow & Pugwash to name a few)
We have big plans to grow over the next few years so it is an exciting time to be joining BB. You will have the opportunity to play a crucial role in developing the products that will define the future of Butternut Box. This role is for someone who is hungry for that challenge.
Butternut Box is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity and inclusion. We welcome people of different nationalities, backgrounds, experiences abilities and perspectives.
There’s no deadline for applications for this role, at Butternut we’ll always wait until we’ve found the perfect person 🐶